Is this a decent homebrew studio setup?

Started by
14 comments, last by Chrono1081 15 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by kiwibonga
Quote:Original post by EdR
Quote:isn't homebrew games and apps for consoles and handhelds etc?
AFAIK, "homebrew" is just another word for "independent", though it has somewhat more console-ish connotations.

It goes a bit deeper than that, actually -- it's more about making something that normally is out of reach for the common man, like software that normally requires a proprietary devkit to develop, or a make-your-own video projector.
I don't see how you can definitively state that. Any sort of programming "normally is out of reach for the common man". Proprietary devkits aren't necessary to write code for any of the common homebrew platforms, just a toolchain that can export code it can understand. If a person can write C/C++, a person can write code for one of the common homebrew platforms. Hell, I still hear people refer to independent PalmOS development as "homebrew," and you never needed a proprietary development kit for those.

Hardware is obviously outside the scope of this discussion so I'm not quite sure why you brought it up.
http://edropple.com
Advertisement
Quote:I don't see how you can definitively state that. Any sort of programming "normally is out of reach for the common man".

It's not the programming that is out of reach for the common man, it's the documentation and tools. All platforms that have "homebrew" had to be reverse engineered to some extent to provide functionality that normally requires special equipment, a license to develop on the platform, etc. That's what makes homebrew stand out from other forms of development. When you make a toolchain that replicates the functionality of an official devkit, then that's homebrew.

Quote:Hell, I still hear people refer to independent PalmOS development as "homebrew," and you never needed a proprietary development kit for those.

If all the tools to develop on PalmOS are made available, then it's technically not homebrew. Just like how buying and assembling furniture from IKEA doesn't make you a carpenter.
You might want to look into the possibility of contracting your art and sound instead of having somebody 'on staff.' Contractors will usually have all the equipment and software that they need, so you pay just for the work, e.g. on a per-song or per-asset basis. It does mean you'd need the cash for the contracts much sooner - they won't accept "if the game sells we'll pay you" - and if it turns out that you were dealing with a particular contractor extensively over the course of the project then it might come out a bit more expensive, but it gives you more freedom and can mean you're sharing less of the eventual profits around.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:It's not the programming that is out of reach for the common man, it's the documentation and tools. All platforms that have "homebrew" had to be reverse engineered to some extent to provide functionality that normally requires special equipment, a license to develop on the platform, etc. That's what makes homebrew stand out from other forms of development. When you make a toolchain that replicates the functionality of an official devkit, then that's homebrew.
And you can dictate this...why?
http://edropple.com
Quote:Original post by EdR
Quote:It's not the programming that is out of reach for the common man, it's the documentation and tools. All platforms that have "homebrew" had to be reverse engineered to some extent to provide functionality that normally requires special equipment, a license to develop on the platform, etc. That's what makes homebrew stand out from other forms of development. When you make a toolchain that replicates the functionality of an official devkit, then that's homebrew.
And you can dictate this...why?

Because that is the commonly held understanding of what homebrew development is?

Ive been using homebrew in the wrong context. I always thought it was like a little basement development studio. My bad.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement