Sign in to follow this  
3dmodelerguy

I think i damaged my computer with my a program i ran.

I was wondering if it is possible to actually damage part of a memory stick if a program try to access to much memory? I created a program to test a class and i did not enter the numbers correct and when i ran it it went up to try to access 1.6GB of ram and my computer to a slow crawl. So i restarted my computer and it is not really slow but the task manager is telling me that it is using 40% but I clearing remember it was below 20%(and when i add up all my processes it is no where never 40%(or around 825MB). is there a way i can check to see if both my memory stick are working properly myself?

I don't believe it's possible to ruin your RAM by trying to access more than you have. All that will do is cause your program to crash and your system to temporarily slow down. RAM is not preserved when the computer is turned off, so when you turned it off you actually basically wiped it clean. The last half of your second to last sentence is horribly worded so I'm not sure what you're trying to say with it. Also, they should be working fine because you were able to turn on your computer. When the computer starts up, the BIOS checks all your hardware and if any of it is disconnected or fails to be accessed, it will let you know.

It's unlikely that you would damage your RAM like that, but like any piece of hardware, RAM can break on its own. You could always run Memtest to be sure. Burn a copy of UBCD (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/) and run the relevant tests. Be warned: thorough testing of RAM will take quite some time (hours).

The amount of RAM you are using is not determined by your hardware. If your RAM or some other part is damaged, it would not lead to an increase in RAM usage. If you really are having an issue with more RAM being used than it should, then it's a software issue.

Most likely, there is no problem. You are just being fooled by Vista's caching feature; it will cache programs to fill up large amounts of unused RAM in order to boost loading speeds. There is generally no reason not to want this behaviour.

If you want to see what's using your RAM, check the resource manager (ctrl-alt-del, activity manager, select "Performance", click "Resource manager", click "Memory").

Yes, but there is no reason to, unless your hard drive is starting to fall apart. It's a feature that every OS should have.

Quote:
Original post by 3dmodelerguy
I was wondering if it is possible to actually damage part of a memory stick if a program try to access to much memory?

Hilarious :)

This is possible, from my own second-hand experience.

I knew somebody doing a University project at my old Uni who left a program running over the weekend. I don't know how, but it was a Java app accessing a database and somehow a test case got triggered which looped infinitely.

It added 30k null DB rows a minute to the database on the server. Naturally, said server died, and the RAM had to be physically swapped out as it was apparently cooked.

True story.