Visual Studio 2008 Standard vs. Professional

Started by
12 comments, last by EdR 15 years, 11 months ago
I am curious what exactly is the big difference from Visual Studio 2008 Standard and professional as far as C++/C# programming. I think from what i read that the compilers are the same which is very important. I also have read that the user interface is different and just wondering how? Do I have the ability to change all the projects setting in the project and other stuff that help with optimizing code? What would be the main reason for someone to need Professional and not Standard? [Edited by - 3dmodelerguy on May 18, 2008 12:52:56 PM]
Advertisement
Visual Studio 2008 Product Comparison. Maybe moderator should put this as sticky, since always have people ask around here from VS2005 until now. :)
Quote:Original post by gan
Visual Studio 2008 Product Comparison. Maybe moderator should put this as sticky, since always have people ask around here from VS2005 until now. :)

Yeah this should definitely be a sticky if not already!
Personally the only time I noticed a difference between the pro and standard version is trying to compile a program that used OpenMP. Also the pro version comes with a performance sql explorer if you do a lot of SQL/database stuff.
Otherwise the difference between Standard and Pro are very small compared to the express versions.
Anyways, this document has every technical detail of the differences in a chart you can look up!
Visual Studio 2008 Product Comparison Guide
To answer the original question yeah you have access to all the same project setttings in standard and pro. And reason you would need Pro version is to use something that was artifically stripped out of Standard edition like OpenMp support, XML editing support or anything else on the list I provided.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
The differences between Standard and Pro are marginal. Unless you need Object Test Bench, their XSLT debugger, or the ability to attach to a remote process (there are other differences, but none of real note), Standard will do you fine.
http://edropple.com
yea the big stuff i see from that list that i understand is remote debugging(which i don't think i need), crystal reporting(i know i don't need), advance XML editing(which is not major), development for mobile devices(could care less about), object unit/bench testing(which i believe there are other free options). I just care that the compiled code is the same(not the the express edition which i here does not come up the optimized compiler by default) and the IDE if full features(i remember reading somewhere on MS website that standard has a simplified and Pro has full which worries me).
Quote:(not the the express edition which i here does not come up the optimized compiler by default)
Pretty sure they run the same toolchain. The only difference I'm aware of is in IDE "stuff."
Quote:(i remember reading somewhere on MS website that standard has a simplified and Pro has full which worries me)
The installer is simplified. That's what the page says.
http://edropple.com
Another question about the software it general it am i able to install it on 2 computers so i can use it for work and my home computer(both of which i am the sole user of)?
Quote:Original post by EdR
Quote:(not the the express edition which i here does not come up the optimized compiler by default)
Pretty sure they run the same toolchain. The only difference I'm aware of is in IDE "stuff."

More or less.

Quote:From the Express Editions FAQ

Does Visual C++ 2008 Express include the "optimizing compiler"?

Yes, Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition includes the same core optimizing compiler that will be included with all other Visual Studio 2008 editions. Some new expanded optimization features, including Profile Guided Optimizations, will be available only in the Standard and above editions of Visual Studio 2008.
[TheUnbeliever]
does anyone know if I can or can not install visual studio on any number of computers i own?
Quote:Original post by 3dmodelerguy
does anyone know if I can or can not install visual studio on any number of computers i own?

VS is a developer, not a machine license. Install away as long as you're the only one using it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement