Visual Studio 2008 Standard vs. Professional

Started by
12 comments, last by EdR 15 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by tstrimp
Quote:Original post by 3dmodelerguy
does anyone know if I can or can not install visual studio on any number of computers i own?

VS is a developer, not a machine license. Install away as long as you're the only one using it.

Cool, that is good news.
Advertisement
Personally I feel it always best to go with the PRO. It might have some features you might need one day. But this is only if you have the money.
Well like I said these are really the only thing i see the pro has over the standard:
* remote debugging(which i don't think i need),
* crystal reporting(i know i don't need),
* advance XML editing(which is not major),
* development for mobile devices(could care less about),
* object unit/bench testing(which i believe there are other free options).

Remote debugging does not help me, if i am going to be debugging I will be on the computer that will be debugging. I have no real need for crystal reporting. I don't see any plans in the future where i would need advance tools for xml documents. I know for a fact that what i want to work on will not be for mobile development. I am pretty sure there are other and better unit/benchmark tool out there. I mean if i missed something you think is big and that i might need but for the extra $400 I basically get nothing and that money would be better spent on something like visual assist. It not that i don't have the money, but i don't like to waste it; why buy something that you only have a very slight chance of using.
If you're only looking for Standard, Microsoft hands it away like candy at just about all of their events. Occasionally they hand out Professional as well, but generally to more focused groups; I got my (first) copy of Professional through Dreamspark, then another through my university, and a third from a user's group meeting where somebody from Microsoft spoke.

What with all the VS, Windows, and SQL Server discs, I'm getting to the point where I could shingle my house in Microsoft freebies...
http://edropple.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement