Music for games

Started by
4 comments, last by loorr 15 years, 10 months ago
Hello all, I would like to gather some general info about music for games. Specifically what is considered game music? It might sound vague but it is something that has been bothering me for long. When someone searches for people to make music for his game project he searches for people who have had previous music-writting experience? Game-music experience specifically? Or is it even divided into game-type music? For example if you are making a horror-game you are going to search for someone who has experience with horror-music? horror-game music? e.t.c. I do realize my question might be strange and vague but I really have been struggling to understand how someone would search for people to write music for games ... and thus how is game-music classified. Any help would be really appreciated.
Advertisement
Game Music is best described as music that is in games.

Similarly to Film Music, which is music found in films, Game Music is simply music that is found in games.

Game Music is comprised of as many musical genres and sub-genres available, so long as it can be found in a game or will be put into a game.

However, one special aspect of Game Music, in the same way that Games are special when compared to films, is that it is often interactive.

Because of this, it is ideal to find a game musician who is comfortable composing dynamic and interactive music.

Of course, the music should fit the content of the game itself.
- [email=dan@musicianeer.com]Dan Reynolds[/email] (Composer|Music Implementer)
www.musicianeer.com
Yes you are indeed right about the interactive part. I had not thought about it like that. Thanks for the input :)

Does anyone know of any related articles I could read?
Quote:Original post by Dannthr
Game Music is best described as music that is in games.

Similarly to Film Music, which is music found in films, Game Music is simply music that is found in games.

Game Music is comprised of as many musical genres and sub-genres available, so long as it can be found in a game or will be put into a game.

However, one special aspect of Game Music, in the same way that Games are special when compared to films, is that it is often interactive.

Because of this, it is ideal to find a game musician who is comfortable composing dynamic and interactive music.

Of course, the music should fit the content of the game itself.

Gotta agree with Dan. Any music can be game music as long as you can find a game for the music to go in :) There are game scores that are classical sounding, impressionistic, experimental, jazz/big-band, this, that, something :) As long as the music is good for the most part, it can find its fit in a game hehe
Sean Beeson | Composer for Media
www.seanbeeson.com
I agree with Sean and Dan...Also music in games have come quite a long way from the blips and beeps of those good ol' legacy consoles like the atari. Today, music in games can sound very close to hollywood film scores, if not better in some instances.
Jon Pierre Musichttp://www.jonpierremusic.com
anyway it's a good result

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement