Sign in to follow this  

Letters clipped for some italic fonts

This topic is 3488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm finding that when certain italic fonts (such as "Wide Latin") are drawn using DrawText, some of the letters appear cut off. Does anyone have any ideas regarding what the problem could be? Any help would be appreciated.
D3DXCreateFont(m_pd3dDevice, nHeight, 0, FW_NORMAL, 0, TRUE, DEFAULT_CHARSET, 
OUT_DEFAULT_PRECIS, DEFAULT_QUALITY, DEFAULT_PITCH | FF_DONTCARE, "Wide Latin", &m_pFont);
RECT rc;
SetRect( &rc, 150, 200, 500, 500 ); 

m_pFont->DrawText( NULL, L"ID3DXFont::DrawText", -1, &rc, DT_NOCLIP, D3DXCOLOR(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f ));
This is what I'm seeing: Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

You probably just need to turn on alphablending, to prevent the next letter's black area from covering the previous letter.

You'll need to pass a Sprite object that you create to the DrawText method. Before calling DrawText, make sure you call ID3DXSprite::Begin() with the AlphaBlending flag.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately I've tried the following and it doesn't fix the issue.

m_pTextSprite->Begin( D3DXSPRITE_ALPHABLEND);
m_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, TRUE );
m_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_SRCALPHA);
m_pd3dDevice->SetRenderState( D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_INVSRCALPHA );

m_pFont->DrawText( m_pTextSprite, L"ID3DXFont::DrawText", -1, &rc, DT_NOCLIP, D3DXCOLOR(1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f ));
pTextSprite->End();

Quote:
Original post by Anon Mike
A previous time this came up...
Only partially related though [smile]

That was using my own font renderer, not ID3DXFont. I believe ID3DXFont can't cope with it - it just doesn't render the correct sized glyph to the texture it uses internally.
So, you can either live with it, or go totally overboard and write your own font renderer like I did. I'm happy to post my code here, but it's fairly engine specific, so the general algorithm will only be useful, the code won't really drop into existing code [smile]

This topic is 3488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.