Sign in to follow this  

.NET, Mono, and questions

This topic is 3492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just finished watching a tutorial on .net and i think i have a better understanding on what it is designed to do but still have some questions. My biggest question is how compatible it Mono to .net because i would want my code to work across any platform including Linux/MacOS/Consoles which, unless i am mistaken, .net does not support(hence the reason the Mono project start or so i thought). Another question is Mono code able to run on consoles(Xbox360, PS3, Wii, PSP, etc...) as this would be another big thing in whether or not to look into .net for the current line of programming and am going in(Game Programming). Another question which is not critical to whether or not i should looking into .net/mono but on the usability of mono compared to .net is how it the perforce from mono and .net(1 benchmark i found said they were bpth pretty much the same but that would from 2005)? Any help on these question would be great.

Quote:
Original post by 3dmodelerguy
I just finished watching a tutorial on .net and i think i have a better understanding on what it is designed to do but still have some questions. My biggest question is how compatible it Mono to .net because i would want my code to work across any platform including Linux/MacOS/Consoles which, unless i am mistaken, .net does not support(hence the reason the Mono project start or so i thought). Another question is Mono code able to run on consoles(Xbox360, PS3, Wii, PSP, etc...) as this would be another big thing in whether or not to look into .net for the current line of programming and am going in(Game Programming).

Mono provides an implementation of .Net for Mac and Linux. Some .Net libraries (Like the forms library I believe) however are Windows only. So the situation is very similar as it is for C++, the language is portable, but you must be careful choosing libraries.

.Net is supported on the 360, but (to the best of my knowledge) not on any other consoles. But surely you won't be developing for consoles for quite some time.

Quote:
Original post by 3dmodelerguy
Another question which is not critical to whether or not i should looking into .net/mono but on the usability of mono compared to .net is how it the perforce from mono and .net(1 benchmark i found said they were bpth pretty much the same but that would from 2005)? Any help on these question would be great.

Performance is very hard to measure, and would depend on way too many factors, but there shouldn't be any major performance problems. If profiling reveals that there are problems, however, you could always implement the slow part in C++ and interface it with your .Net code.

Quote:
Original post by Simian Man
Some .Net libraries (Like the forms library I believe) however are Windows only

That is incorrect. Mono has a working Forms implementation, albeit it's buggy from my experience with it. If you are going to write a cross-platform GUI application then GTK# is the way to go; it's a *lot* more comfortable that Windows.Forms, anyway. You might even consider using it for Windows-only programs, that is, if you will manage to get MonoDevelop running on Windows.

Quote:
Original post by desudesu
Quote:
Original post by Simian Man
Some .Net libraries (Like the forms library I believe) however are Windows only

That is incorrect. Mono has a working Forms implementation, albeit it's buggy from my experience with it. If you are going to write a cross-platform GUI application then GTK# is the way to go; it's a *lot* more comfortable that Windows.Forms, anyway. You might even consider using it for Windows-only programs, that is, if you will manage to get MonoDevelop running on Windows.

Yeah last time I tried to port some of my winform .net stuff to my Mac and Linux I didn't get too far since the Mono project is always one or two steps behind Microsoft's implementation. If you want to play safe stick to the command line since non-gui stuff seems to work the same as on Windows most of the time or you can look here and see what the current state of support is for winforms,etc.:
Mono Project Roadmap
You'll probably find this also useful or giveup and use something more cross platform like QT or Java?

Can Mono run binaries produced by Visual Studio?

Yes, Mono can run binaries produced by Visual Studio, there is no need to recompile.

Use our Mono Migration Analysis tool to check if everything that your application uses has been implemented in Mono or if there are special considerations to keep in mind.

The Mono API today is somewhere in between .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0, see our Roadmap for details about what is implemented.

[Edited by - daviangel on May 25, 2008 5:36:14 AM]

If you're doing more of just processing-related stuff, Mono works great. My game's server (has just a console output) has nearly no problem of working under Linux even without initially coding for support for it. The only problem I had was some \'s in strings for the path and that the console output used colored text. The client on the other hand, which uses XNA... lets just say it wasn't even worth trying. There is Mono.XNA, but I haven't heard much of anything from them. Either way, don't think its something we'll see any time soon. Of course theres plenty of graphic libraries that work cross-platform. I'm just whiny and ungrateful. :)

In my experience almost anything .NET 2.0 (VS 2005) runs fine on Mono. .NET 3.0 and 3.5 still need some time. Performance between them is comparable, Mono seems to be a bit behind in heavy mathematics but is faster in interop with native code. As far as consoles go, MS has XNA on the XBox360 but it's hard to deploy, only provides a very limited subset of the class libraries and the XNA libraries aren't available for Mono. Mono is running on Linux on PS3 and there is a project that tries to enable the use of the Cell cpu in Mono, but afaik there's no 3D in Linux on PS3.

This topic is 3492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.