Sign in to follow this  

Nintendo DS stylus + drawing in the world

This topic is 3486 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all, So let's assume that we have the ability to draw lines and curves in the game world with your mouse or stylus. What sort of games can we make out of this concept? Line Rider Build a track, start it up and watch the character follow the slopes on his journey. Could spice it up by adding some powerups, monsters and an exit to reach. Kirby Canvas Curse A limited amount of control on the main character but our objective is to draw safe pathways and interact with the various objects on the screen to keep our little guy safe as he tries to get to the goal. Bouncing / Juggling A ball drops and it's your job to keep it airborne by constantly drawing new platforms for it to bounce off of without falling. Jezzball Variants Try to trap various balls of a similar colour by drawing barriers and divisions with the stylus. What sort of ideas can you come up with? It seems like unlimited potential with the DS but I haven't seen that many good titles that make use of only the stylus except for Kirby Canvas Curse.

Something like Crayon Physics could be a lot of fun (kinda similar to Kirby Canvas Curse) - I like games that allow you to be creative in the game world, and this seems to work great with mouse or stylus drawing.

Here's an idea out of math class, I don't know if one is out there, but here goes:

A line-drawn diagram is shown to the player, to which is only drawn by lifting up the stylus once. The goal is to copy that picture on your drawing side using the stylus by pressing and lifting up the style only once as well, while you cannot draw over paths that you have already taken.

You would have various levels of complexity, where the picture will be more and more complex in the way that it can have many ways to finish the drawing - for example, a level could be to draw a picture to which looks like a rhombus with each vertex connected with each of the other, without lifting the stylus until you have finished drawing. You could be scored on how fast you finished the drawing.

There could be variations in the number of times you could lift and press the stylus, such as a level could be to only allow two lifts of the pen.

To make it easier there could be some hints in the form of numbered dots (where number = sequence to arrive to that vertex with your pressed stylus) placed on various vertices of that picture, so that you "connect-the-dots" but with very few dots. Hard mode would be to remove these hints completely. Or you could earn "hint points" to spend to which reveal these dots to suggest which path to take.

Have you heard of Echochrome? It's this neat game that changes level layouts based on perspective - whatever appears to be true is, in fact, true. I'm not really sure on any specific gameplay elements, but it seems like it might be a novel use of the stylus.

Quote:
Original post by niteice
Have you heard of Echochrome? It's this neat game that changes level layouts based on perspective - whatever appears to be true is, in fact, true. I'm not really sure on any specific gameplay elements, but it seems like it might be a novel use of the stylus.

To my knowledge, Echochrome doesn't use a stylus at all (it's a PSP game, not a DS game).

Mario 64 for the DS had a lot of good minigames that were stylus only. A few of them seemed like they could be fleshed out to produce more complete concepts.

Puzzle games seem to be a natural fit for this. The sort of 'setup a board, then let the simulation run' could work well with stylus drawing, provided the concept and level design was creative enough to allow freedom but still impose challenge.

A world-building game could work too. Draw some kind of underlying structure, and then let an algorithm take your basic drawing and turn it into something more visually pleasing/meaningful to the game. Maybe a Harvest Moon-esque farming simulation?

I wonder if there are any sports games for the DS? Draw the plays on the bottom screen, and watch the actors play out those moves. Allow the plays to be revised in real-time. This doesn't necessarily have to be a sports game, of course; it could work just as well with a strategy game.

What about some kind of "design your own creature" game to which you draw up the silhouette of your creature, and then you watch it come alive and plow through a city like Godzilla, in a 2-D side-scrolling manner. Your success is determined by how long/effective your creature can plow through the city with the all the police, military, structural obstructions, and etc in the way, and you cannot control your creature in any way.

You begin with a limited amount of "ink" to which would dictate the size and complexity (such as limbs) of your creature's silhouette. The more destruction you impart onto the city levels, the more "ink" points you earn, to which will allow you to draw up even bigger and more complex creature-silhouettes.

Size would perhaps dictate the creature's hitpoints, while Complexity (folds of the silhouette which represent limbs) would dictate the various ways the creature is able to manipulate the world. Such as for Movement, you could have walking (2 folds/legs), slithering (no folds), flying (square folds), wheels (circles), springs (a spring), etc. For Attack/Climbing, you could have arms (a fold), spikes/blades (triangles), whips/flagella (a line), mouths (a concave section of the silhouette's main body) etc.

There could be boss-battles where you have to go against another kid's silhouette drawing (the theme could be about kids trying to destroy the world with their doodles), and the winner takes all the ink of the vanquished monster.

You could have multiplayer to which players design their own creatures and watch them duke it out against each other, where the winner adds the vanquished monster's ink to his ink pool.

Quote:
Original post by WavyVirus
Something like Crayon Physics could be a lot of fun (kinda similar to Kirby Canvas Curse) - I like games that allow you to be creative in the game world, and this seems to work great with mouse or stylus drawing.

http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=14712

It is absolutely fantastic.

Anyways as far as the original topic goes I'd say most of those would make fairly decent mini-games but really not enough substance to make a full featured game.

Quote:
Original post by Tangireon
Here's an idea out of math class, I don't know if one is out there, but here goes:

A line-drawn diagram is shown to the player, to which is only drawn by lifting up the stylus once. The goal is to copy that picture on your drawing side using the stylus by pressing and lifting up the style only once as well, while you cannot draw over paths that you have already taken.

I remember those from graph theory - that little house drawing is a pretty famous one. There was sort of a trick that meant you could always do it though.

Quote:
I remember those from graph theory - that little house drawing is a pretty famous one. There was sort of a trick that meant you could always do it though.

These were a lot of fun. But then I found the seacret (well learnt it in maths class).

It is actualyl quite a facinating subject. Agoo dplace is to start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Bridges_of_Königsberg

But back on topic...

Quote:
Anyways as far as the original topic goes I'd say most of those would make fairly decent mini-games but really not enough substance to make a full featured game.

Yes, there are many pen and paper games that utilise line drawing and so could form mini games. But I think that a more complex game could be made.

So here is my 5 minute design for a stylus game:

Mage War

Target Device:
This would be designed for a device like the DS that has networking capability.

Gamepaly:
Mage Wars would be a social game where interaction with others is a major factor. There will be a single player aspcet to this, but this is more aopbut practice than the actual game.

Players draw symbols in real time in specific play areas to cast spells. The symbols would be made up from a series of 8 simple gestures (Up, Down, Left Right, Up-Left, Up-Right, Down-Left and Down-Right.

An example fo a symbol might be somthing similar to the letter "M" This would consist of the gestures: Up -> Down-Right -> Up-Right -> Down (or reversed).

These would be drawn in one continious line (withouth taking the stylus off the screen).

The simple nature of the gestures means that accuracy is not absolutly necessary so player cna make the gestures quickly.

As the gameplay is real time, speed is also a factor. If you can string to gether several symbols to cast a spell faster than you opponent, then you can get your spell off first.

Spells can be defensive or Offensive.

Defensive spells will protect you from your oppoennt's attacks, but it means that you are not attacking your opponent (giving them time to do other things).

Offensive spells will damage your opponent (or perform some other negative effect on them).

You can also have allies as well as opponents so team matches (with equal number of players on each team) can be heald. Team Members can cast defensive spells on team members.

A player would have a limited selection of symbols that they can use to craft spells. They might have a lot of symbols available to them, but they will only be allowed a small number of them for any one combat.

Each time they connect with another player (possibley only new players), they will get a new, random symbol for their pool that they can use. This will allow players to accumulate many symbols so that they can mix and match then and design their combat set.

When a symbol is drawn, it will be temporarily removed from their pool for a short time. If they have other coppies unused in their pool they can still use that symbol. This mankes managment of what symbols the player includes in their combat set an important decision.

There will be several regions on the screen where symbols can be drawn and the region that a symbol is drawn in can chang ethe "menaing" of it. Some regions will target the spell on allies and others will target your opponents.

The spells that cna be cast will ahve a kind of Scisors/Paper/Rock relationship as well as other factors that could influence the effects (if time can be detected, then maybe dark magic type spells will be more powerful at night and weaker in the daytime - with light magic the oposite).

There will also be some signaling of incoming spells like you can see the symbols that your opponent is drawing as they complete them. There would also be the posibility of faking a spell (that is almost completing it and then canceling it and casting a different spell quickly instead) in an attempt to throw off your opponent and trick them into casting the wrong counter or taking time and resources away from them in doing so.

Well that was about 5 minutes of thought, and so would requier much more effort to make into a viable desing, but it is a start at making a drawing based game more than just a mini game.

This topic is 3486 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.