Sign in to follow this  

Good uses for color modulation?

This topic is 3495 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm curios to know some real life examples of good use with color modulation, specifically in 2D gaming. I can't think of alot of practical uses for it. The only real one I can think of is to use it for lighting (by dropping the values for everything on screen, resulting in a night time effect). The engine I'm using supports it, but I can't really think of any good uses for it. Suggestions?

One thing that you'll definately be using it for is particle effects.

You'll want to make all the art for the particles white, and then you can simply change the colour over time, or you can have many of the same particles on screen, but all with different colours.

Am I correct in thinking that by "colour modulation" you mean, essentially, filtering of an image so that only certain percentages of each colour channel come through (as in the case of particle systems as described by the poster above), and as used in this thread? My apologies, I don't recall this particular term. ^^;

However, if that is correct, then you could use it to have a character dim or redden when hit, or to select the colour of a HUD, or to indicate which of a series of items has been selected, or to change the colour of a health bar to reinforce the indication of the player character's health, for example. I imagine that there are many other potential uses. ^_^

This topic is 3495 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.