Sign in to follow this  

Visual Studio 2005 debugging. How do I turn it on?

This topic is 3488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I've just installed Visual Studio 2005 on my machine, but I can't seem to get it to debug properly. The project runs and works, but it's a bit of a pain without being able to trace problems, as I'm sure you can imagine. As regards your first thoughts, yes, I am running in debug mode. I also have been to the project properties -> linker -> debugging section and turned 'generate debug information' to 'yes'. At first I thought it might be something to do with it being an OpenGL program, but I just tried it with a simple text output program and it didn't work. It just disables the breakpoints when it runs and skips right over them. It must be something really simple (someone suggested 'clicking the green arrow' last time. Amazingly, that did not work any differently from pressing F5) as surely debugging is a major feature. Oh, and I'm in the C++ configuration, if that makes a difference. Thanks a lot.

Hmm...

That should be fine. Normally if you press Ctrl + F5 it runs the app without debugging, even if you're in debug mode. Pressing F5 on its own should allow you to step through as normal.

Are you sure all your breakpoints are actually enabled? It's possible to disable breakpoints but leave them in the code.

I'm not sure if this is going to solve your problem, but I know that with vs2005 it's very very important to install the service pack 1 and the hot fix VS80sp1-KB933054-X86-ENU.exe
hope this helps
cheers

The breakpoints seem to be enabled. They are a solid red/pink colour and become only an outline with a yellow triangle when I actually come to run the program.

As for the update, I will take a look at that, although I can't think VS2005 wouldn't have the ability to debug by default.

Something that seems to keep cropping up that might be a clue.

Every time I change the project and recompile, it says, in the output window, "LINK : F:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Terrain_Generation_001\Debug\Terrain_Generation_001.exe not found or not built by the last incremental link; performing full link"

Anyone?

im using C#, but i think its the same since i use visual studio as well, but if you press your left mouse button on the left side (in the bar) of your code, you'll place a breakpoint. whenever your code arrives at that point, it quits, and all the variables etc keep their values for debugging.

So i think you either misplaced your breakpoint or you just dont enter that part of your code...

I hope this helps a bit, im sorry if it doesn't :)

You may try going into Properties->C/C++ and changing Debug Information Format from Program Database for Edit & Continue (/ZI) to Program Database (/Zi), this is sort of a quick fix but it worked for me in the past.

This topic is 3488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.