Sign in to follow this  

Physx only at nVidia's cards?

This topic is 3493 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Since nVidia bought AGEIA, only nVidia's cards will have hardware accelerated PhysX capability? And if is that the case,its worth to use PhisX, i.e, the software version is fast enough?

From what I hear (and I preface this by saying I have no experience here personally, but have read the words of others), PhysX is a fairly competent physics solution even when restricted to software.

I have no clue whether it's on the level of Havok or some other big-name solution, though.

Yes, I have also heard good things about it's software capabilities. Of course, it's not exactly in NVidea's interest to maintain this...

From the nVidia site (re: the nVidia PhysX drivers):

"Supports only AGEIA PhysX processors and software runtimes"
"Does NOT include NVIDIA GPU PhysX Support"

This means to me, now that they have taken over the drivers, that they have not added support for their OWN hardware yet, and ONLY the old Ageia physics cards are supported.

I have one of the Ageia cards, and am pretty happy that nVidia has taken over... I've always been pleased with how nVidia keeps updating drivers. Hopefully, they will keep supporting the old Ageia cards, and not phase them out.

NVidia has been porting PhysX to CUDA for a while now, and from what I've heard it's almost done. I don't know enough about CUDA to know if it's cross-vendor or not, but it stands to reason that the new PhysX implementation will only work on cards that support it (Which means at the very least DX10 level only). Also, I've gotten the distinct feeling that they are aiming the CUDA version towards SLI systems, rather than the average DX10 hardware.

That's about all I know at the moment, but I've been watching the topic with some interest for a little while.

This topic is 3493 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.