Text based rpg Game

Started by
11 comments, last by chaosprime 15 years, 10 months ago
I've learned the basics of C++ and a little bit of blitz basic but I dont see how any of them relate to games.. they all seem to be how to do simple math functions and how to store things with variables and classes and such.. I was wonder what language should I choose for a simple Text based RPG game, also which language would be best for a flash game or is there a program? I want to make a text based game then move onto something you would see on www.addictinggames.com or newgrounds or something. And as far as graphics.. are there any good free programs that are easy to learn for those?
Advertisement
If you know basic C++ then creating a text based RPG should be obvious. Your post suggests you don't know C++ very well or at all.

Either keep learning C++ or change your strategy.

Quote:
also which language would be best for a flash game or is there a program?

Flash games are created with, as the name suggests, Flash.
If you know C++, why not use that for your RPG? If you can't see how the fundamentals you've learned relate to games, you just have to think outside the box a bit. All you'd really have to do in a text-based RPG is run a loop where you print out a message describing the current location, get input from the user, and print out a new message based on that input. If you write some code and are still having trouble figuring out what to do, you can always post your code on the forums here and we'll be glad to help.

As for Flash, you'd have to use... well, Flash. Technically, the programming language it comes with is called ActionScript, and you can't choose to use another language such as C++ (as far as I know). Also, the Flash authoring program is non-free.

As for graphics, what do you mean by programs for learning? Do you mean painting/modeling programs, or something that will help you create games with graphics?
Quote:Original post by rsyerigan
I've learned the basics of C++ and a little bit of blitz basic but I dont see how any of them relate to games.. they all seem to be how to do simple math functions and how to store things with variables and classes and such..

And what do you think video games are?

Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Quote:Original post by Koobazaur
Quote:Original post by rsyerigan
I've learned the basics of C++ and a little bit of blitz basic but I dont see how any of them relate to games.. they all seem to be how to do simple math functions and how to store things with variables and classes and such..

And what do you think video games are?

magic fairy dust?

While I suffer from this same problem, the books teach you what C++ is and briefly touch OOP, but rarely connect it to a learning exercise that helps teach game programming.

It is hard to connect the random programs such as a file opener/reader to a running game. I recently got the book "Game Programming all in one" which starts out with a review of C++ and then makes a text based game called "Monster", it then creates a graphics engine called "Mirus" which simplifies all those accursed DirectX and windows functions.

The same issue exists with web tutorials, they are either to vague, or dont go into the needed information. I guess no book is perfect and their will always be something missing, but the basics hardly qualify as game making material when they are all linked together through magic fairy dust concealed in a forest fog behind the gleaming sword and child with pointy ears and a fairy who must once again, stop evil from conquering the world.

If you're trying to make graphics then there is a large amount of free programs; ie. 2D GIMP, 3D Anim8or

[Edited by - monkey4sale on May 25, 2008 9:01:54 PM]
-A.K.A SteveGravity is unreliable-DTD
Despite what has been said, I don't see any reason to use C++ for a text-based game. Try Ruby... and use RubyScript2Exe to compile it in to native machine code. Ruby is small but powerful; using C++ will just make things harder. Also, if you need to move on to something more graphics-oriented, try Java. It has windowing toolkits and graphics built in. Good luck!
Quote:Original post by chucky176
Despite what has been said, I don't see any reason to use C++ for a text-based game. Try Ruby... and use RubyScript2Exe to compile it in to native machine code. Ruby is small but powerful; using C++ will just make things harder. Also, if you need to move on to something more graphics-oriented, try Java. It has windowing toolkits and graphics built in. Good luck!

I hate to fuel another language war, but given his goals and the fact that he is a newbie, Ruby is an awful suggestion.

Java has its merits, but to summarize the general consensus on this forum: consider using either C# or Python.
Yeah, C# is nice... but personally, I hate Python. But it's not up to me to decide for you, so just do some research on different programming languages and just do the one that makes the most sense.
[google]
"C++ RPG"

Wrath Lands Video Tutorials

If you know C++, that will point you in the right direction while breaking the concepts of a game down into something easily understandable. It's not perfect, but it's at least a step where few have tread.

Happy coding!
Most of our obstacles would melt away if, instead of cowering before them, we should make up our minds to walk boldly through them.- Orison Swett Marden
I suggest Python for a language, because it's easy to learn and use; simpler than C++; free; open-source if you care about that; and cross-platform. You'll want the (free) program Py2EXE to make actual EXEs though (there's an equivalent program for Macs). If you then want to progress from text to graphics, try adding Pygame, which is a free library of graphics/sound/event-control/etc. code for Python.

If you're confused about how the programming techniques you've learned relate to actually making a game, then start by making a stupidly simple game: the computer picks a number between 0 and 100, and you get 7 guesses to find it, being told whether you're too low or too high each time. If you can make that game, you'll know the basics of how to communicate with the player in a way that uses stored information and a calculation about whether the player's choices succeed. The thing to realize here is that with code, the act of describing something in enough detail creates it! If you can break the game's series of events down into a set of mechanical steps, you have your game.

Once you're confident enough to try an RPG, start by looking at a few small parts of a stereotypical one like an old-school Final Fantasy, one at a time. What information do you need to store, what calculations do you need to do, and what input do you need from the player, to simulate a little battle where life is measured in hit points? Try drawing a flow chart on paper for the loop of logic you'll need. Other things you might look at are a transaction in a shop, moving around on a grid-based world where any step might randomly trigger a battle, and awarding the player with experience and gold after a battle.

Let us know how you do!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement