Mathematics of the Rendering Pipeline

Started by
6 comments, last by Jason Z 15 years, 11 months ago
Hi! I am searching a good (!) tutorial/documentation/explanation of the mathematics of the rendering pipeline. It should cover the world, view, projection matrix (and explain why they look like they look) and the viewport mapping. It would be perfect if the tutorial focus on direct3d, but its not a requirement. I have found tons of slides about the pipeline, but they are all from a high level view. They just say "this is the projection matrix, this is the view port matrix" and so on. But im interested in a in depth explanation of the maths. Thanks!
Advertisement
The OpenGL red book has, hands down, the best description of the transformations involved in scanline rendering I've ever seen. I recommend it to all my students. Note that the full version of the explanation is only present in the 1.3 version onward.
I personally think the book 'computer graphics principles and practices' has some really great material on it.
Graphics Programmer - Ready At Dawn Studios
"Essential mathematics for games & interactive simulations" (ISBN 155860863X) also contains various in-depth chapters on the subject and it covers all kinds of other handy subjects to boot. I heartily recommend this book, if that holds any value [smile]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
The "Mobile 3D Graphics: with OpenGL ES and M3G" book has a short introduction to the mathematics.
"Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus By Andre' LaMothe" Covers In Depth on the subject of Software Rendering on today's hardware. Cannot recommend it enough.
The wolf and his mate howl, taking solace in the silver moon. Pressing ever foreward to see what the future holds.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb206260(VS.85).aspx
Check out Dave Eberly's website: Geometric Tools. The source code is free, so if you can dig through it it's a free resource. (it's pretty clean code, give it a shot...)

This book has the software details and a good description of the software rendering pipeline.

Hope that helps!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement