Sign in to follow this  

Converting .map to .x

This topic is 3492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know of a good (or easy) way to convert a .map to a .x? Blender has a way to export to a .map, but no way to import them. I haven't found any way to do this. Any help is welcome!

About two years ago I did have to convert from .map to our internal format.
Mangling .maps isn't easy. There's likely an .x converter around but I'm not aware of it.

To do this, I had to download GtkRadiant source and walk the mangling code in order to understand what it did. There are basically two ways to do this.
Quick and easy way: the "point cloud" approach. Simply take each plane and intersect it with other two in unique ways. Fast to implement and sort-of-accurate numberical wise but tends to break easily when you rebuild the topology in some cases when the mesh solidification algo fails. Conclusion: avoid.
Extra machinery : point-edge palette. This is what Radiant does in a pretty dumb way. Because original topology is mantained, some solids could be rebuild even without solidification. Conclusion: consider only this.

Simple linear math will take you to the end of both. Don't be afraid of overestimating edge counts for the sake of more efficient allocation and reuse - the number of edges in a polyhedron is well defined.

This topic is 3492 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.