Allegro Game Programming

Started by
5 comments, last by mrcriminy 15 years, 10 months ago
Are there any advanced Allegro programmers out there? I have a question: I can compile my Allegro code successfully on Windows with VC++, but it doesn't work when I try to compile it on Linux with GCC. Does anyone have a suggestion?
Advertisement
It would be helpful if you actually explained the problem exactly, probably post a section of the makefile or a useful, but small, amount of the error. It will help others point you in the right direction.

What I would suggest is make sure you have `allegro-config --cflags --libs` somewhere, but that is just a blind assumption.
I'm relatively new to Linux and I'm not using a makefile... which may be the problem. I'm just compiling the regular way. Do I need a makefile for Allegro on Linux (sorry if I sound ignorant)?
Don't worry about it. You don't need a makefile for allegro on linux. If you are using the command line though, meaning you aren't using a VC++-like tool to code, it's just easier to use a Makefile.

There are a lot of different choices on linux for compiling, so please specify what you mean by the "regular way". That is different depending on who you ask, and causes arguments between people =P.
We really need more info like what distro? What is the exact gcc command line options you are using to compile,etc?
If you are using Ubuntu you probably don't even have the necessary Allegro development installed. At least I ran into that problem when I first ported my Windows Allegro programs to Ubuntu Linux.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
I actually have both Mandriva Linux and Edubuntu Linux currently installed on my laptop's hard drive... and I think the problem is that I don't have the necessary libraries, because the Allegro web site gave me a command line script to run, but whenever I type it in it basically tells me it can't find the script. The script was supposedly generated by Allegro, but I can't seem to find it.
I know edubuntu would not have the allegro-xxx-dev package installed by default, which means you can't develop with allegro until you install it. I'm not sure about Mandriva though.

On a side note, if you are going to ask questions on forums, please post error messages, code samples, links of guides you've tried, or anything else that will help get your question answered quickly. In short, we don't know you, so we can't know what you've already done, what system you are on, etc. Just please be verbose.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement