Sign in to follow this  

need help programmng game

This topic is 3484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am new to the field of game programming. i am working on a new project in 3d game could you guide me to a good site where i could learn about the game programming in 3d , how to use th animated formats of animated character in my game and like that.?

Well, I think that the answer depends heavily on two matters:

First, how much general programming do you know, if I may ask, and what experience do you have? Have you ever worked with 3D graphics, for example (whether for games or otherwise); if not, what about 2D graphics? Second, do you want to create games, or program them? That is, do you want to focus on the programming, or on the game creation?

Depending on your answer, you might find some useful information if you start here, or look to a game creation tool such as GameMaker. Otherwise, you might want to consider modding an existing game, or, if you are comfortable programming, perhaps look to another engine.

If you're not already a programmer, and haven't been creating games via a tool such as GameMaker or the modding of existing games, and then, based on what I've heard of it and what I've seen implemented using it, I'd suggest GameMaker (linked-to above), and starting off with 2D games.

Some of the other members may have other suggestions for you to explore, of course. ^_^

It really is better to start out in 2d and work your way up to 3d or convert a 2d game to run on 3d if you want to take that approach. If you want to write a game in 3D then I'd suggest looking into a free engine such as Irrlicht or Ogre.

If you're a real beginner and have never programmed in any programming language you might want to try the Panda3D engine using the Python programming language to do the scripting. It will be a little slow but you can rewrite the Python code as C++ code later on to speed things up.

You make it sound like your completely new to game programming. If you aren't, it really depends how good you are. Might need to know that. But, if you are a complete beginner, GameMaker is a good start. If not, either do what samuraicrow said with using Ogre, or use OpenGL if your brave enough. Those are, as far as I can see, the 3 best paths, depending on your level. Python is kind of cool too, super easy.
GM is still the easiest for beginners, OpenGL being the hardest. You can actually load in 3D stuff into GameMaker, but it is VERY slow. Also, remember next time you post, you get more responses with better grammer and spelling. None of that internet chat language. But I have only been here for a month or two, and I found that's what heppens. More detail, too.
But, even with all of this, 3D isn't easy. You got to learn some basic 3D math first, and, if you've haven't seen any code before or even know how to use anything, you have to learn 2D first. One of my favorite things to say is, in 3D, there's alot of 2D.

I'm not sure, based on other posts that I've encountered on this site, that I'd recommend NeHe as a place from which to learn the proper use of OpenGL, especially since the methods that it uses are, apparently, fairly old now.

However, they can be useful, I've found. For a recent discussion of the topic, perhaps take a look at this thread.

I don't know, offhand, of a better set of tutorials (perhaps someone else here does), but I do seem to recall that the OpenGL website has a set of tutorial links that you could look through.

This topic is 3484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.