Good First Programs

Started by
7 comments, last by force_of_will 15 years, 10 months ago
I would like a list for myself and other fairly new programers of some easy first programs.. they don't have to be games. Now I want something a little more that "hello world" and "The guessing game" Any Ideas are greatly apreciated Thanks
Advertisement
Well i can make a few suggestions.

Sugesstion follwed by reason.

A Calculator - Takes input from user and follows set produer good for learning how to capture and use input properly for a good basic understanding.

A guessing game - Could be of numbers but will learn how to do random numbers and user input to detmerin and out come.

A simple text editor program - Load in a file of text for display or create a new one and fill it with a line or more then one line of text. Good to learn how to access and save files of the basic text kind.

A very simple RPG - This is a text based battle idea only one room where you can choose to fight and get exp or shop random creature types no movment really needed as its more about learning how to setup a game loop and doing things the right order as well as seeing abit of what you have been doing become useful and make yourself feel abit better nothing better then a confidence boost form your first game. Im my own words go ahead make ti crappy for your first game because its about learning and having fun.

A simple drawing program for a consle like dos or a win32 application where you can draw colored squares or lines just something basic to get you used to algorythems and why they are usefull.

Hope that helps abit Enjoy and happy programing even though i am sure you will get head aches.

Regards Jouei.
- An artillery game

- Snake
many of the project euler puzzles Project Euler - do the first 5 or 6, then look for a later one which interests you.
I think a project emphasizing arrays would be incredibly helpful.

Unfortunately, the only thing I can think of is a shopping list program.

It can save lists to files (named by the user: optional), and bring them back.
It stores each item in an array.
The user gets a menu to add to, delete items, save, load, etc., then return to the menu.
Quote:Original post by Mathmo
many of the project euler puzzles Project Euler - do the first 5 or 6, then look for a later one which interests you.

I haven't worked on any project euler problems in a while. Ill probably do one today (memorial day). Thanks for reminding me.
"Dope Wars" -- essentially, any game where you buy commodities, shares, drugs, whatever, and have to buy low and sell high in a given number of in-game days, with various random events. Based on luck and smarts, you can try to get a 30-day high score. Send it to your friends, ask them to beat your score. A big motivator when you begin is to make something that others will actually play, something people can get addicted to, even if it's just for a couple hours total.

It's an excellent project for a first GUI application, compared to making a calculator, for instance.
I always find implementing cryptographic schemes are fun. Blowfish is a simple algorithim to implement, so that's my suggestion.
Johnny was a chemist's son by Johnny is no more, for what Johnny thought was H2O was HO4
Quote:Original post by NerdInHisShoe
I always find implementing cryptographic schemes are fun. Blowfish is a simple algorithim to implement, so that's my suggestion.

That's not very beginner stuff :P

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement