ping

Started by
9 comments, last by Antheus 15 years, 11 months ago
if in a LAN , a ping from a computer called A to a router connected between computer B and computer C fails, does it tell us something about that router: that is, can we assume that the router has something wrong with it..............
Advertisement
No, it could just mean the router has disabled ICMP.
no, let us assume that all routers ICMP is enabled.

now
can we extract some useful information from the failing of ping ..
It could be to do with the computers B and C failing to reply to the ping, for whatever reason, e.g. firewall. Or your computer IPs could be set up incorrectly...
if i try to make a socket to the router and that failed, does it mean something..
please help
Quote:Original post by y2jsave
if i try to make a socket to the router and that failed, does it mean something..
please help
Yes, it means you can't connect to the router.
A router is designed to be as transparent as possible, you really can't assume anything about it at all, ever.

If you have a direct connection from a PC to a router, with nothing in between, and the router is set up to respond to ICMP pings, and you ping it and don't get a reply, all you can assume is that there's something wrong with either the wiring or the router.
Similarly, if you're on the LAN side of the router, and the router has a configuration utility on port 80, you could try to connect to that instead. But that won't tell you much more than the ping did.

What exactly are you trying to do?
what are exchange routers
i tried google but cant find.
on which layer the ping command executes ?
what are exchange routers
i tried google but cant find.
Presumably it means routers on the Internet between your PC and the destination PC.

on which layer the ping command executes ?
The IP layer, I believe (Although I'm not entirely sure). It has to know about IP addresses so it knows what to ping, but it's not TCP/IP or UDP obviously.
ICMP is on top of IP.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement