Sign in to follow this  

How do I get Button Pressure from a gamepad?

This topic is 3490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a vb.net programmer. (But any example in any language would help) I have an original xbox controller hooked up to my PC. The buttons are pressure sensitive. The driver I got for it works for the pressure sensitiveness. The problem I am having is, how am I able to get the values for the button pressure? The range is from 00-FF according to the driver. Driver link http://www.redcl0ud.com/xbcd.html There are lots of tutorials on how to put a usb end on your xbox controller. Is there a joystick dll for this? Thanks.

I don't think it's very easy to control the pressure you put on an Xbox controller. I don't really know because I can't remember one game that used it, but the button feels like it's either up or pressed and I can't feel any middle grounds.

I would advise you to stay away from this design decision to use pressure. Especially since the controller comes equipped with to triggers!

Quote:
Original post by Splinter of Chaos
I don't think it's very easy to control the pressure you put on an Xbox controller. I don't really know because I can't remember one game that used it, but the button feels like it's either up or pressed and I can't feel any middle grounds.

I would advise you to stay away from this design decision to use pressure. Especially since the controller comes equipped with to triggers!

To the contrary:

Just about all of the buttons on the 360 controller are analog buttons. That means a variable voltage is produced based on how hard you press them. The same probably goes for the Xbox 1 controller.

For example: Have you played a game like Forza? Partially pulling the triggers produce variable response in the game.

[Edited by - fpsgamer on May 26, 2008 5:54:18 PM]

Quote:
Original post by fpsgamer
To the contrary:

Just about all of the buttons on the 360 controller are analog buttons. That means a variable voltage is produced based on how hard you press them. The same probably goes for the Xbox 1 controller.

For example: Have you played a game like Forza? Partially pulling the triggers produce variable response in the game.

While true, Splinter of Chaos' point was that it is difficult for a user to gauge how much pressure to apply on the analog face buttons. The triggers, after all, are not "buttons" but "triggers" (yeah, semantic nitpick). I don't know of any game that employs analog pressure input for the face buttons, X, Y, A, B. (Ditto DualShock 2/3.)

This topic is 3490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.