• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Shaders: packing 4-byte RGBA value into single 4-byte (32-bit) floating point value

This topic is 3558 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello [smile] I have yet another shader packing question. Say I have a 4-component texture, each component using 32-bits (128-bit texture, FLOAT32_RGBA). Now, thinking about it, memory-wise, I should be able to pack 4 32-bit textures into this "fat" texture. However, what I don't understand, is how I would pack and later unpack 4 values into a single value. To make it worse, we're simply dealing with shader floats here - the only difference being, is that the input floats come from a 32-bit texture, and the output floats go into a 128-bit texture. Anyone have any ideas? I'm using CG/HLSL, though I can understand GLSL code if you have an example that uses GLSL. Please note that my maths education is still rather small (US high-school math is useless), so the better the explanation, but more appreciated [wink] Thanks you very much in advance!

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement