See thru Objects that are Textured? 3DS and .X files

Started by
3 comments, last by MajSlayer 15 years, 10 months ago
Hello, I have this little problem I cant seem to figure out. When I apply a texture to a 3DS Max Design 2009 object then covert it to a .X file, I can see thru parts of the mesh I textured. Everything looks fine on the face I applied the texture to but the sides and back show right thru. Any ideas? Thanks MajSlayer [Edited by - MajSlayer on May 27, 2008 12:01:17 AM]
Advertisement

It sounds like an issue with zbuffering and/or cullmode, but that's just a guess. Could you post a screenshot so we know what the problem looks like exactly?
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Here you go:)

This one shows the see thru problem, you should not see the red stripes right thru the carriers deck.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn76/MajSlayer/Tarawa.jpg

This one shows a tearing problem I have as well

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn76/MajSlayer/Tarawa2.jpg

Thanks again, I must not be setting my textures up right for .x in 3DS, everything looks fine in 3DS.

MajSlayer
Nice model [smile]

I don't see anything really wrong with the 2nd image, do you mean the 'barbs' showing through? As for the first image, it's hard to tell if it is some cullmode issue... Are you sure the normals for the misbehaving faces are correctly pointing 'outwards'? When mirror modelling I've frequently seen it happen that the normals also get mirrored by the modelling app, which messes up lighting and culling. It's a long shot, but this might be the problem.

Also, if you have an older DirectX SDK around, you might want to try and see how it looks in the MeshViewer tool. I've regularly had the DirectX Viewer do strange things to my models, so it might just be the tool. If you don't have an older SDK that includes the MeshViewer utility, you could try loading your mesh in the mesh sample/tutorial that comes with the SDK and see how that works out.

Hope this is somehow remotely useful :)
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Seems to be fixed now thanks..

Command used
graphics.GraphicsDevice.RenderState.CullMode = CullMode.None;

Thanks a ton,
MajSlayer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement