Bandwidth needed?

Started by
39 comments, last by hplus0603 15 years, 10 months ago
Future standard for gaming? I don't know about that... some people have $1000-$2000 rigs set on the highest quality. To maintain that quality, you're going to have to duplicate that for just about each client. Not only could this easily cost over $10k for a server that can duplicate the work of a very small FPS match, but tons of servers are hosted on home computers. Might as well just use what they already have in their machines.

Also, keep in mind that since you are not rendering, you have a round-trip delay for EVERY action. That means if you move your mouse a little bit, its going to take at least 100ms (assuming you have a 50ms ping, which is still very low) to do that... and thats still pretty low. More realistically, it'd be around 150-200ms. Try playing a FPS at 5-10 frames/sec and see how hard it is to aim at anything... the delay is gonna kill you big time.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
Advertisement
Some people have written about the growth of bandwidth, here are some links:

http://www.useit.com/alertbox/980405.html
http://www.broadbandproperties.com/2006issues/oct06issues/corning_oct.pdf

Then there's the Internet2 research networks which peaks out around 8Gbps.

BTW someone is actually trying to do this right now, I read a little blurb about it on GameDev.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=469798

-ddn
Quote:Original post by vsk
Interesting. Thanks for the explanation.
Anyway, I will wait for some years, I think this will be the future standard for gaming, ok, is kinda a crazy, but I really think is gonna be this way.

Watch Herb Sutter's presentations, or read his articles.

Bandwidth (and the implications of Moore's Law) have long lost their importance. It's all about latency these days, even for multi-core programming, and even for single-core programming.

Even given infinite bandwidth, as of now, speed of light isn't predicted to change. A trans-atlantic (6000km) connection will still have at least 40ms ping. Consider that we're getting dangerously close to this limit. General internet links over this distance currently produce ping approaching that (traceroute says 133ms for approximately this distance).

Every single online game uses predicition of some sort to hide latency, and that just isn't possible with this type of model.
Quote:Original post by ddn3

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=469798

-ddn

Hey!, I just get into the page, I am not the only insane person :-).
I want to see how the solve this problems.
Thanks for the charts too.
Hey, people, (espialy the ones that say "impossible" or equivalents), GO INTO THAT PAGE!.
I hate those bastards!. :-P.

Hey, people, (espialy the ones that say "impossible" or equivalents), GO INTO THAT PAGE!.

Assuming you are referring to this link, I believe they are mostly doing it via a 1000Mb LAN connection, reserving non-LAN usage with the hopes that the future modern home connection is actually fast (in both senses of download rate and ping) enough to stream a decent quality video that is compressed on the fly.

You have to realize the problem can't be solved by throwing better, faster hardware at it. Even if you had a computer that could magically compress a high quality video stream down to a KB per frame, you still have the latency that is going to be a result of physical location. I think you are vastly underestimating the effects of poor input response.
NetGore - Open source multiplayer RPG engine
Quote:Original post by Spodi

Assuming you are referring to this link, I believe they are mostly doing it via a 1000Mb LAN connection, reserving non-LAN usage with the hopes that the future modern home connection is actually fast (in both senses of download rate and ping) enough to stream a decent quality video that is compressed on the fly.

You have to realize the problem can't be solved by throwing better, faster hardware at it. Even if you had a computer that could magically compress a high quality video stream down to a KB per frame, you still have the latency that is going to be a result of physical location. I think you are vastly underestimating the effects of poor input response.

No, check this link
http://www.streammygame.com/smg/index.php
There you can find several examples of application.
Here you have their user on youtube.
Again, but this time with some prove ;-): "This is the future for gaming"

Here is its youtube example user: (in this case they are playing crysis).

Just some months ago, they enabled playing via broadband but only for super nets.
That's the link. I remember seeing that a long time ago.

http://www.streammygame.com/smg/modules.php?name=Broadband

notice the resolution and the required upload speed required to host. What you asked was for hosting more than one player I figured.

Quote:Original post by Sirisian
If your goal was to make a super computer render the game for everyone then send out the video and sound so anyone with a decent computer and high bandwidth could play it then it's been thought of many times. It's just not a viable solution yet.

Haha, the only one who got it ;).

One person hosting and sending to one person is fine and dandy at youtube quality with DSL. Hosting tons of players even 10 would require amazing networking. It would definitely suffer from latency as you try to generate the camera angles and stuff. Also remember being able to stream crysis aka render crysis at 320x240 or low DSL speeds isn't that exciting when you take into account the latency for input. Notice how they don't say the FPS you get ;)

//edit that video you linked is probably running with an ethernet cable connected to the other computer right next to it on LAN for all we know.
//double edit. Ooh something important to point out. Some of those youtube videos are placed by the creators of streammygame for publicity. Probably shot under ideal situations on awesome hardware. Just speculating though. Did you test the software yet?
Yes, I know it is publicity, but I don't think he has a NASA computer/network.
And not, I don't want to several players, I want to 1pc server->1 client, 10 pc server-10 clientes (or so).
Yes it is lag anyway: here is what they recommend for resolving/minimize

From its web page:

/****************************************/
1) Graphics card (GPU)
The less strain on your graphics the more power it has to play and capture the game. To improve lag caused by graphics cards you can lower the game resolutiuon or get a faster graphics card.

2) CPU
Your CPU is used by StreamMyGame to encode video along with your GPU. To improve lag caused by the CPU you can close any other applications that are not being used, overclock your CPU or get a faster CPU.

3) Bus
The coputer interconnect between the CPU and the GPU is called a bus. The latest bus is called PCIE (PCI Express) which is fast in both directions. The older bus is called APG (Accelerated Graphic Port). THe new bus is faster at sending video from the GPU to the CPU. To serve games at hi resolutions you should get PCIE.

4) Wired and Wireless Networking
The lowest lag is acheived by using wired networking at present. 100Mb wired network will achieve full HDTV 1080p with StreamMyGame. 1Gbit is even better.
SOME wireless networks say they can achieve network speeds of XXXMb, in the real world they dont get even close. If your using wireless networking try to get the latest 11n or at least 11g. We have found that there are massize variations in good and bad wireless networking router even though they all say they are 11g.
/**********FROM ITS WEB PAGE**********************/

So, comming back to laging problem, what are the solution that researcher are finding/investigatin for solving it? (if there exists a possible of solution).
The lag we are generally referring to is the latency. There's nothing you can do. Data can only go so fast between two points. Ping is the round trip time measured in milliseconds that it takes a packet to travel. In order to compensate for lag many games trick the user. You might click forward in an FPS and even though the move wasn't validated because it takes say 50 ms to reach the server, the client might move you a little bit while it waits and perform client side hit detection. Depending on the position data it receives back it might make a small correction or snap the player to where it needs to be.

Velocity is sent along with entity positions allowing for extrapolation. Now to make this clear as to why this streammygame software will look worse is because there's no client prediction and there's no extrapolation of any sort. You send the input and it takes 100 ms (generally a worse case. I mean Planetside averages 40 - 60 ms pings) and you get the images back. So you end up with 1/10 of a second to see your response. Also games drop packets with UDP. It's inevitable on the internet. Video frames would be thrown out. You would probably see lag. Normal games extrapolate and interpolate between known coordinates and such so losing a packet isn't that bad since a spline will have the players general motion and only quick changes usually would require a snap.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement