OpenGL Input

Started by
14 comments, last by Simian Man 15 years, 10 months ago
I like GWFL. Do I have to import anything but glfw.h? That would be AWESOME. only 1 include file.
-Jedimace1My company siteEmber StudiosAlmost Done
Advertisement
You need to rebuild the dll from SDL, since they only provide the VS 2005 version. And VS 2005 and VS 2008 DLLs (at least the SDL dlls) aren't compatible.

Remember that you also need to recompile all the other SDL_* libs that you (may) use.
Quote:If I learn SDL, I have to learn other parts of SDL too.
Err..huh?
Quote:And I don't want to have to set the project settings for every project, either.
How would you rather configure a project then?
Quote:Also, why is GLUT not for big projects?
A number of reasons. Most salient right now would be its being essential an out of date library. So it's not really a standard library or part of OpenGL. Someone made this library, didn't maintain it, and now you have to look for hopefully working implementations out there. The library and its design isn't necessarily suitable for complex applications. You can Google for all the design considerations GLUT throws at people.

Quote:Do I have to import anything but glfw.h?
That might be the only include but you still have to link to the library, right?
Ok, with the linking, in Visual Studios 2008, you can make it so it links for everything you do in it. Also, for the configuring projects, I would rather not have to, like with OpenGL, where it automatically does everything for you. And I don't want to learn how to use stuff in SDL like making the window, initalizing, etc. I just want to get started ASAP, before I find myself giving up, which I've almost done a lot. If I'm learning SDL only for input, then I don't want it to be hard. GLFW looks fine though. If I can find tutorials. After I went to the GLFW homepage, they had a link back here. I wonder how you figured out about it.... Lol.
-Jedimace1My company siteEmber StudiosAlmost Done
http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/lesson01/windows/index.php

Lazyfoo is not a bad way to learn SDL. And, you don't need to use SDL for everything, only input would be OK.

GLFW is a good choice too. Both of them are cross-platform and fast enough.
Quote:Original post by Jedimace
Ok, with the linking, in Visual Studios 2008, you can make it so it links for everything you do in it. Also, for the configuring projects, I would rather not have to, like with OpenGL, where it automatically does everything for you.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

And I don't want to learn how to use stuff in SDL like making the window, initalizing, etc. I just want to get started ASAP, before I find myself giving up, which I've almost done a lot. If I'm learning SDL only for input, then I don't want it to be hard.

SDL is one of the easiest to use libraries around. If you are too lazy to learn it, good luck working on any project.

GLFW looks fine though. If I can find tutorials. After I went to the GLFW homepage, they had a link back here. I wonder how you figured out about it.... Lol.

GLFW is rather nice. There are tutorials on the home page. They are on the left labeled "tutorials". I know it is difficult; they should have made the link in a large red font.

Good luck :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement