Sign in to follow this  

Funny Depth Buffer behaviour with DirectX 9.0c on NVIDIA Quadro NVS 285

This topic is 3490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This happens only when I turn on multisampling. The depth buffer seems to reverse the z order. It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes when I launch the app it's OK, sometimes the z order is reversed. When it is reversed, it looks like the multisampling has been disabled (even though it is on). Any idea what is going on here?

On top of Steve's suggestions - how are you handling the MSAA device creation? DXUT should handle it properly, but off the top of my head I think the implicit depth-stencil is not created with MSAA and is thus disabled initially. This could create all sorts of on-screen garbage. The debug runtimes will tell you if this is the case.

hth
Jack

Did you make sure that there is a depth buffer? From your description it sounds like there might not be one, or it's not enabled, and it's just the order of drawing deciding things.

I set AutoDepthStencil to TRUE.

Is there a way to detect if it has been created?

I can't use the debug options because my acccess to the
machine is remote. Does not happen on all machines.

You're right. Got the latest drivers and the problem disappeared.

Just how do you guys working on shrink-wrapped products cope with this?
Not enough that you use the API correctly, you have to wonder if its your
code or the card makers code that causes the bugs.

Quote:
Original post by Constantin
Just how do you guys working on shrink-wrapped products cope with this?
Not enough that you use the API correctly, you have to wonder if its your
code or the card makers code that causes the bugs.
That's exactly what the reference rasterizer is for (Well, one of it's uses). The reference rasterizer is just that - a reference device. All drivers should behave as it behaves. If they don't, then there's a bug in the driver.

I had a student come to me recently with exactly the same problem... when multisampling was turned on, a change to fullscreen mode then back to windowed mode caused the scene to be drawn in reverse depth order. Even when running the DirectX tutorial for multisampling the same behaviour was noted. We didn't manage to track down the problem, although I figured it was either a driver bug or DX bug, since it wasn't restricted to his code. Now I know where to look for the cause! ;)

Thanks.

This topic is 3490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.