Sign in to follow this  

Is Maya and 3D studio for game design?

This topic is 3490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've recently posted a thread asking for help on picking the right computer for running design applications. But it appears that Maya and 3D studio max aren't for game design (that's what a member told me). Could anyone offer any information on what programs I would need to begin my quest to create a game. I'm looking to do level design, character design, animation, and programming.

Are you looking for an all in one program.. Blender3d has a built in game engine of sorts witch can uses python scripting. There may be other prgorams out there.

For the most part and 3d modeling programign will do if you programer the video game yourself to do so would require a Compiler such as visual C++ but not limited to C++ programing langauge alone.

IT really depends on what you want you may want to clarify the question abit more.

Regards Jouei.

Maya and 3D Studio Max aren't made specifically for game content creation, although they're very often used for that. Since they're not game-specific, you won't find much related to games. So for example while you'll be able to create polygon-based models and define materials and animations for them, you won't be to specify in-game behavior or anything like that. Usually designing levels, behaviors, and scripts are left to custom tools made for the engine or for the actual game code itself.

It sounds to me like you're trying to put too much on your plate at once here. 3D modeling is a difficult art that takes a long time to learn, and much longer to actually be proficient at it. It's also not something that has much to do with programming, which means if you tried to learn both at once you'd be trying to tackle two incredibly complex subjects at the same time. I'd recommend focusing on one or the other.

This topic is 3490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.