Sign in to follow this  

Video for background any format SDL help

This topic is 3491 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I recently downloaded Electric Sheep reuse policy (http://www.electricsheep.org/index.cgi?&menu=reuse) It states as long as I say this is electric sheep images done by so in so I can use them. Well, I was wondering since the files once downloaded and in use are .avi what would be the easiest, quickst, most efficient way to make the electric sheep your background image using SDL? I thought about using some kind of avi -> mpeg converter convert avi vids to mpeg then use ffmpeg and then blit it using SDL but then why not just load x amount of images, and have a timer and blit each image as it passes half a second, or something real quick? Any thoughts on an efficient solution to this problem?

First of all, SDL 1.2.x's 2d blitting techniques are mostly CPU-based and don't use the blitter in the GPU unless you open an OpenGL context or a hardware screen instead. There are limitations on using OpenGL but probably less noticeable than that of a hardware screen. If you do choose to use OpenGL and don't know how, look into using hxRender 3.0 (scroll down the page for the links).

If you choose to blit a background image using FFMPEG, it will take less memory than just storing static images in memory and blitting them from a timer. The disadvantage is that it will take more processor time to decompress the animation as it is playing.

This topic is 3491 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.