[web] where should i start

Started by
3 comments, last by chilleo 15 years, 11 months ago
hello i have a website which i would like to start fiddling around with making a game on. i dont want to start with anything complicated, moving a symbol around on a screen would be fine for now. my question is what should i begin learning? i would like it for the user to not have to download an exe since people can be paranoid about that obviously, but instead id like to use something similar to how runescape is played. are they using an applet? i made a game using vb 6.0 a while back also, is there any way to get that to run on my page without someone having to download it? and last thing, id like to use something that can reference an SQL database to know the player stats thanks, Leo
Advertisement
If you want to run it embedded in a web page Java or Flash are options. I'm not sure how feasible Silverlight is for making games yet but that may be an option too.

I don't know Java but personally I hate Flash and it's not free so you may want to start with Java and work from there.
ya i would prefer java to flash since im not ready to shell out hundreds of dollars, but do you know - will an applet be able to do pretty much everything ud need for a simple 2d game and also can you access a mySQL database within java code?
Yes, Java applets are capable of doing those things.

You will need to download the Java Development Kit. I suggest downloading either "JDK 6 Update 6" or "JDK 6 Update 6 with NetBeans 6.1". NetBeans is an IDE that you will use to make writing code easier (it's not necessary).

Many people prefer Eclipse over NetBeans. I personally used to hate NetBeans, but it has gotten a lot better as of late. There is also JCreator, which is a little easier to use than NetBeans or Eclipse, but not as featureful. There is value in learning how to use Eclipse, though, as most development houses in industry that use Java are using Eclipse.

There is a FAQ thread in the Java forum that you should read.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

ok im having some problems ...

i have tried everything i possibly can think of and my java applets just wont work. URL: www.csce.uark.edu/~relswort I have copied and pasted both java code and html from multiple websites which i can view the applets on their pages but when i ftp it all (exactly the same) to my site all i get is a red x. any possible explainations?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement