Sign in to follow this  

to draw or not to DrawDibDraw, that is an awful question

This topic is 3489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Just a quickie. Windows DrawDib functions can apparently draw 32-bit DIBs, but use SRCCOPY ("source copy", for those of you not used to Win32). Would this correctly draw a DIB with an alpha channel, or would the alpha be ignored? [Edited by - webwraith on May 27, 2008 12:15:28 PM]

SRCCOPY sounds like it'll just copy memory around, so that means no alpha blending between source and destination pixels. However, don't take my word for it, look up some documentation or give it a try. :)

I'd love to give it a try, but I don't have anything that saves 32-bit BMP files. I have both Photoshop and PaintShop Pro (although rather dated versions, i.e; around version 6 of PS, and 7 of PSP). Any recommendations?

I was using GDI, which only really accepts and deals with BMP. The only other way to do it would be to write a converter that loads a TGA into a BMP in memory

GDI has terrible support for alpha as a whole. As in, it's almost non-existant. What exactly are you trying to do? You're probably better off with SDL or some other graphics API.

I just wanted to get some images on the screen, really. Alternatively, I was going to use OpenGL. SDL I have yet to really get to grips with, mostly as I seem to have an innate ability to mess up adding any new library/libraries to my code base

This topic is 3489 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.