Sign in to follow this  

Clarification of the difference between Meshes and Models

This topic is 3491 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, I'd like a little bit of a clarification on why we use meshes and models and what exactly the difference is. Im currently making my own engine in DX and I want to have a seperate Mesh and Model class where a mesh is created and then multiple instances of this mesh can be created in the form of models. Am a right in thinking that to do this you need a mesh class that sets up an index buffer for the mesh and does all the other stuff, and then you can create multiple objects of a model class that references the index buffer that has been set up??? I apologise if you don't really understand what I'm trying to ask because it's still a bit fuzzy with me at the moment. Thanks in advance!

The two terms are often used interchangeably. I would say that "mesh" does not generally refer to the texturing or rigging of a character, where "model" can refer to that, but that's a pretty tenuous discriminator. I would say what you have there is either a mesh or model, and then "instances" of the mesh or model that are created. That's a commonly seen organization.

My system is split up into 3 pieces here.

Chunk
Model
ModelInstance

The chunk is just a collection of vertices in some format that the renderer can understand.

The model is what binds a collection of chunks together along with their materials.

Last is the ModelInstance, which is derived of type Renderable. Which is an object that can be processed by the renderer. It stores a reference to the Model and some additional information like the world transform and a chunk mask.

Mesh is usually the point and index (and groupings of those, bones...) with the bone weights and normals, texture coordinates, etc...

A model is the superset with a mesh (or multiple - possibly interchangable parts) as well as texture (or mappings to shared textures) and to animations (which also might be shared if common skeleton systems are used)

This topic is 3491 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.