Sign in to follow this  

New to game developing and don't know where to start...

This topic is 3469 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is such a hard question to answer...

What platform do you plan to develop for? Microsoft/OSX/XBox?

What language do you plan on using? C/C++/C#/Obj-C/Actionscript?

What graphics library? OpenGL/DirectX?

I have been creating very simple games for years using Adobe (previously Macromedia) Flash, but have now decided to have a go at 3D programming. I have decided to take a two pronged attack!

I decided to give Unity3D (www.unity3d.com) a blast as it is a ready made 3D engine and I can already program in C# (It does also support javascript). I wanted to use this because I think I can get some quick results. I know there may be some drawbacks, particularly because it has managed memory, although I am not 100% how much of a performance issue this may be.

I also decided to have a go at writing my own basic 3D game engine using Objective-C and OpenGL on the Apple Mac. This is going to be a longer term goal but I feel I will learn a lot more from this. I don't think you can learn to program 3D games by looking at scripts. I think you first need to understand the Math involved (a bit dull but essential) and then the graphic library you choose to use.

Personally I am reading as much as I can at the moment regarding 3D Math and OpenGL and I will take it from there!

Ta

JT

I'm going to be developing on Microsoft

Language: Visual Basic

Graphics: DirectX

I'm Developing a 2d mmogame over the summer and need to know where to start. I can code in VB 2008 express, so that is the language i prefer to use.

Ask anything you need to know.

This topic is 3469 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.