Where to start when creating a 2d game engine

Started by
12 comments, last by aleisterbukowski 15 years, 10 months ago
Where is the easiest place to start when creating a 2d game engine. OS: Windows Language: VB (I'm using VB 2008 Express) Graphics: DirectX Ask anything you want if it'll help you give a better opinion
Advertisement
In your other thread you said that you are downloading XNA. Now you say that you are using DirectX. So which is it?
Logging.

Stuff is hard to debug when you've got no error reporting.
I'm Using DirectX. XNA is better with C#
Creating a new thread with essentially the same question isn't a good idea. A mod will hopefully merge the threads.

I would agree with Telastyn that logging (and error management) is a good starting point. I pretty much start with at least a barebones logging system in any project I have.

On another note, are you sure you want to build a game engine? Perhaps you want to build a game instead?

Also, worth knowing for us:
- How long have you been programming in VB? Overall?
- How many games have you made so far?
- What do you expect to accomplish having built a game engine?
Quote:Original post by oler1s
Creating a new thread with essentially the same question isn't a good idea. A mod will hopefully merge the threads.

I would agree with Telastyn that logging (and error management) is a good starting point. I pretty much start with at least a barebones logging system in any project I have.

On another note, are you sure you want to build a game engine? Perhaps you want to build a game instead?

Also, worth knowing for us:
- How long have you been programming in VB? Overall?
- How many games have you made so far?
- What do you expect to accomplish having built a game engine?

I'm sure i would like to build a game engine

-Not long, but i understand the basic, and learn very fast.
-I'm working on a game.
I highly recommend that you read this.
Quote:Original post by Gage64
I highly recommend that you read this.

My reasons for wanting to build an engine is because i want to create the game myself, no matter how long it takes. I don't want to use an engine that i didn't make.

Also, I know that what i want to create is a game engine as i stated in the above post.
If you read the article I linked to, you will realize that it is in fact a guide on how to build a game engine yourself (despite the title). Read all of it before you decide that you don't agree with what I just said.
Sorry, Thank You

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement