MMA Manager Game

Started by
0 comments, last by jesot 15 years, 11 months ago
I recently started working on a text-based MMA (mixed martial arts) manager game. The basic idea is you create a manager, scout and sign a fighter, and manage him through his career. Management of your fighter includes joining a team, joining a league, arranging fights, arranging a training schedule, hiring staff (cutman, cornerman, ect.), managing promotion, and so on. Your fighter would begin in a rookie league and eventually advance to the world league (if he is lucky), collecting titles along the way. Also along the way your manager earns reputation points giving him access to more teams, promotion opportunities, better fighters, and better staff. When your current fighter retires you continue your management career with another. You also manage your fighter directly in fights by giving simple commands in-between rounds. For example you can tell your fighter to ‘go for the takedown’ or ‘watch for punches’, giving bonuses in each situation respectively. Commands can be given passive, normal, or aggressive (every fighter reacts differently). Fighters have 16 different statistics at the movement, but it isn’t set in stone. The fight engine is basically planned out; it includes four basic attack types (Stand Strike, Stand Grapple {takedown}, Ground Strike, Ground Grapple {submission}). I have about three notebooks and multiple hours worth of information written down with ideas, been working on the idea for a while as a hobby. The game is meant to have some depth, but at the same time be simple and quick. Basically I just wanted to know if anyone was interested in seeing this idea developed. Also I would like to hear any ideas. I’m still not sure on how to go about a few features. I’m trying to decide between whether as a manager you should join a team or create your own. If you create your own you would have to purchase equipment and manage the upkeep cost. Teams give varying stat bonuses. Also just a random question, if a game is completely freeware is it illegal to use sprites from old SNES or GBA games? If you give credit where it’s due. Anyway, looking forward to any responses. Have a good one! (I could explain more later, but kind of ran out of time right now.)
Advertisement
Here's a web-based manager game that's fairly well-done: http://www.mmarmy.com/home.php

I love MMA, and wish there were more games. Especially for the PC where indy programmers and modders can really help a game shine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement