Alcoholic drinks

Started by
31 comments, last by kordova 15 years, 11 months ago
Any of you fine folks have an alcoholic concoction for which you claim originallity? Granted, there is such a wide variety of drinks that it is nearly impossible to tell if one is applying an original mix of ingredients, but one can come to a recipe on their own. I made up one tonight that I like very much. It's 3 shots of bourbon on ice, with a squeezed wedge of lemon (rind left in the glass) and 3 tsp of sugar. If it's original to me, I'm thinking of calling it "Kentucky Lemonade". There is a particular mixed drink called a "Danish Zombie" that I have been trying to track down as well. I first read about it in the Robert A. Heinlein novel "Job: A Comedy of Justice", so it isn't necessarily real other than the fact that Heinlein typically kept to reallistic tertiary details to maintain familiarity. All I know is that it's supposed to contain Akvavit, and be palatable to people who don't usually drink a lot (so I expect it to be sweet). Also, I've been looking for a consistent recipe for a "Tequila Mockingbird" (say it out loud if you don't get it). The recipes I've found vary widely, with no underlying theme. In fact, a couple of recipes don't even contain tequila, opting instead to bank on the "mock" idea (similar to how Mock Apple Pie has no apple but instead lots of lemon and crackers). Similarly, I can't find a consistent recipe for a "Red Russian". It's either similar to a White Russian with Raspberry Liquer instead of Kaluha, or it's similar to a Black Russion with the addition of Raspberry Liquer. Basically it comes down to cream or no cream. Any ideas?

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
Have you checked out www.drinksmixer.com? It's one of the better drinks sites that I've found online. Here's there recipe for Tequila Mockingbird:

http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink2334.html

One drink that I put together that I can't find anything quite like it online is this:

1oz Vodka
3/4oz Island Blue (DeKuyper fruit punch flavor)
3/4oz Creme de Banana
Club Soda

Fill in a colins glass with ice. It's really good, it's sweet but refreshing (you can lower the ammount of Vodka to make the sweet flavors more prominant, of course), you can also use Sierra Mist or 7up for a little more flavor. I assume Vodka and Pucker in general already has a common name, but I can't find any (and everyone renames every drink with a tiny difference from something else anyways).
I'd like to try mixing my own drinks, but I've failed miserably in the past (with non-alcoholic drinks), so I'm a little hesitant to try. It also ended up being more work than I would have thought.

Is there anything that can done with beers? I'd like something to balance the bitterness that's keeping me from getting into the beer world.
You can always try bombs, Irish Car Bombs are quite nice. It's a half glass of Guiness and a shot of equal parts Irish Whiskey and Baileys Irish Cream, it has a bit of a chocolate milk flavor to it, but you have to down it after you drop the shot. A, because it's a bomb and that's how you drink them, and B, because the Baileys will actually curdle in the Guiness if you leave it in.
You should also try different types of beers. There are basically two orthoganol scales when it comes to beer: hoppiness and maltiness. Bitter comes from hops, sweet comes from malt. You'll want to stick to the classification of Ales over Lagers, as Ales typically have spicier, fruitier flavors. Brown ales, stouts and porters, scots ales, and belgian ales will be your best bets. The belgian style beers are typically sweeter than others. Scottish Ales have a distinct chocolate taste, some stouts are almost like coffee or oatmeal, and then there are the German spiced dunkelbocks that are very high in alcohol content but low on hops.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
There are basically two orthoganol scales when it comes to beer: hoppiness and maltiness. Bitter comes from hops, sweet comes from malt. You'll want to stick to the classification of Ales over Lagers, as Ales typically have spicier, fruitier flavors.

I think that was the issue during my last foray into beers; I tried too many lagers. I decided to try again yesterday because I heard that fruit flavored beers were good for sweet-tooths, so I bought an Apricot Weizen by Pyramid. The apricot flavor helped a little at the start but it faded away quickly. I've got Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout and Young's Double Chocolate Stout on my "to try" list. I'll keep in mind the styles you mentioned.
Quote:Original post by xycsoscyx
You can always try bombs, Irish Car Bombs are quite nice. It's a half glass of Guiness and a shot of equal parts Irish Whiskey and Baileys Irish Cream, it has a bit of a chocolate milk flavor to it, but you have to down it after you drop the shot. A, because it's a bomb and that's how you drink them, and B, because the Baileys will actually curdle in the Guiness if you leave it in.

Heresy! Whatever you do with some crappy lager is your business, but thou shalt not mess with, add to or otherwise alter the divine ambrosia that is Guinness, lest I be forced to travel to your Arthur-forsaken land and layeth the smack down upon thee.

Also, it's "Guinness". Arthur J. gave us a great gift, the least you can do is spell his name right.[grin]

God, I miss guinness. [sad]
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
Sorry, I was typing quickly and missed an N, but have you ever tried an Irish Car Bomb? The only thing that can make a Guinness better is more Irish! :D
We invented a drink in college called Skippie. It was a mixture of white wine, lemonade, vodka, and malt liquor. Damn good too. But you probably wouldn't remember much past the second glass.
The only "shot bomb" drink I've had is a Jägerbomb, which you shot out of a glass of RedBull.

In my younger days I invented the "brown gooba" - equal parts thick apple juice, goon, and bourbon.
I don't recommend it.
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
It's 3 shots of bourbon on ice ... and 3 tsp of sugar.
Why not just use Southern Comfort. As far as I can tell it's just bourbon with plenty of sugar mixed in ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement