Source code help..

Started by
19 comments, last by DevFred 15 years, 10 months ago
even if the user has little experience depending on the individual he might or might not learn something.

take me for example i dont need a teahcer to really teach me math i can look at the examples and fill in the blanks. I have high comprehension level. I dont need people to talk to me lake a baby to understand what is being said. But on the other hand im not perfect i; i not good with words and communication its just not me.

so yeah show me code i look at it and play around and see whats happening and not just the high level things i think more about low level things too.

but sry i have no clue right now about that but im not sure but search around code is out there i think i remember running into the first "Super Mario Bros" code
Bring more Pain
Advertisement

I've given up on this discussion when I ran into The Washu about the topic, but you just had to see that one coming Josh [smile]

Code (and code-filled tutorials) just work for people. It may not be the perfect tool to learn and yes, it may introduce some bad concepts to people, but the good coders will come through. If people aren't willing to learn to understand the code they use/write, nothing, no perfect tutorial, nor even a personal mentor, will help.
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Quote:Original post by owiley
even if the user has little experience depending on the individual he might or might not learn something.

While I don't necessarily agree with everything that the article stated, the question I have to ask is "What will you learn from it?"

As mentioned in the article, you're assuming the code is actually correct. But a Donkey Kong game is fairly simple, and often times, used by beginners who might not take the best route to accomplishing such a program.

And even if they did make it the most efficient Donkey Kong in the history of the world, you'll have to question why they did things the way they did, which certainly won't be documented. Besides, what may be the most efficient way of doing something today could be wrong tomarrow.

Then you have to ask yourself, even if they did write a fairly clean version, is it right for you? C++ can't create Donkey Kong. You need external libraries for the audio, graphics, input, etc.

As you mentioned, a quick search on google could find source code. But Donkey Kong is fairly simple enough that rather than trying to code the game, try writing out a design document first and a fairly decent understanding of C++ and the multimedia libraries you choose to use will probably be a better course of action.
Quote:Original post by owiley
code is out there i think i remember running into the first "Super Mario Bros" code

The original Super Mario Bros. code would likely be written in assembly and would be full of NES-specific hackery. It would be illegible to a beginner trying to learn, and a terrible educational tool.
dont know if it was legal or what not it was on programming heaven's site

it was in c and thats all i know its one of the first things i found when learning to program. dont know much else cause i jumped int directx with the help of andy pike tuts then opengl with this sites nehe tut and now studing id tech 2 and 3 and anything in-between.

[edit]

yeah, after googling for the source found out there is a ton of them out there ranging from c to vb.
Bring more Pain
Quote:yeah, after googling for the source found out there is a ton of them out there ranging from c to vb.

I googled and couldn't find anything on donkey kong or anything NEAR it. I guess your not allowed to link me to any of the sites?

I think the source would help me a bit, i use tutorials too but I would just like to see some source code.

Thanks for letting me know though!
The other day I wanted to learn russian. So I listened to some russian guys talking for several hours. To my surprise, I didn't comprehend (let alone learn) anything. I even picked up a book, but it was all gibberish to me. What did I do wrong?
Quote:The other day I wanted to learn russian. So I listened to some russian guys talking for several hours. To my surprise, I didn't comprehend (let alone learn) anything. I even picked up a book, but it was all gibberish to me. What did I do wrong?

The problem is you don't know any Russian so you might want to start with a basic book containing Russian phrases that are translated in to English. :D

Or try this link... - but mind that this is an online resource and may not be a good source of study. :)

And... I've you have never read any body else's source code I'll show my arse in the town hall!!! :D

Ta

JT
Please take a moment to read my blog: :D
ok first you probley didnt ask what he was saying next what he was say wasnt clear to you. I mean we all learn about it in english. Ok you read a book with a word in it that you dont understand but given the words around it you can kind define it based on the other words. Same in coding execpt differnet you dont have to know coding to learn coding. take the syntac and play arounf with it to find out what it is doing. children does this all the time. they be curious about their toys so the break them and try to put them together. i did it and the teacher told my mom that was normal and to let me adventure out some
Bring more Pain
comprehension only works if you understand parts of the under lying problem the rest is finding out what it means Like Using scientific reasoning
Bring more Pain

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement