Portfolio Review?

Started by
2 comments, last by fruki 15 years, 10 months ago
I'm wondering if anyone here would be able to give me a review of my portfolio, or any advice as to what needs improvement. Ive applied to countless companies big and small over the past 2 years for anything from full positions to internships and I haven't had a single response, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any advice would be tremendously helpfull www.geyer3d.blogspot.com
Advertisement
That's not a portfolio. That's an art blog.

A portfolio is a carefully curated sample of your best work. Your very first problem is that you're showing entirely too much stuff - nobody (who is hiring) has the time to look through all that stuff, and you have multiple videos. Really?!

If you're going to put together a video reel, you're going to put one video together, no longer than 2 minutes (preferably only one minute long), editing in your best animated sequences. If you're going to submit a traditional portfolio, select five or six of your very best images and present them. If you can only find three that are real knockouts, only use three.

Your portfolio will always be judged by your worst piece. If you show five great pieces and one mediocre one, you're portfolio will be viewed as mediocre. Better to have left off that last piece.
Quote:Original post by geyer3d
I'm wondering if anyone here would be able to give me a review of my portfolio, or any advice as to what needs improvement. Ive applied to countless companies big and small over the past 2 years for anything from full positions to internships and I haven't had a single response, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Any advice would be tremendously helpfull

www.geyer3d.blogspot.com

My first question would be, what occupation are you going for? Video game art i assume? If so, then animation? Character artist? Environment Artist?
My first bit of advice would be to get a professional website. This means, buying hosting and a complete domain name. Lunar pages, with their current discount, will be around $80 for a year, and you get 1,500 gigs storage.
Secondly, you need focus. Your page has an image that is done with procedural textures and photoshop post processing, animation, environment art, character art, high poly, low poly...etc. Its too much of a mixed bag.
When a company views your portfolio they want to primarily see content that is involved in the position you're applying for. If its animation show almost completely animation, if its environment art show almost completely environment art...etc. Its nice to show if you have extra skills that may be useful, but that is not the hr department's primary concern when they're viewing applicants and portfolios.
Along with this, you need to focus on either realtime or pre-rendered art. Again, your portfolio shows both, but the company only wants to see the one you're applying for. If you're doing realtime art (i assume since this is gd.net), then it is more than ok to show high poly scenes and high poly models along side the low poly ones. This is a valuable skill these days and should be shown off. But don't apply anything to the high poly that is not going to be possible ingame. This means no photoshop touching up or crazy shaders or global illumination...etc.
Along with this you need to show your texture flats/uv's. Meaning your actual textures, for your diffuse, normal map, specular, or any other map you've used. This lets the company see how efficiently you use your texture space, how well you make your normal maps, and how well you make your control maps. If you don't show these it is impossible for the company to know how well you can work with limitations and texture budgets.
Along with this, your low poly head model, for example, is a bit too high poly. Your topology is suffering in some areas of your edge loops. And i can see quite a few areas where polys could be removed and yet still allow the mesh to look the same, or be removed and make a very little difference. These polys should either be removed or used elsewhere to help smooth out the sharper areas of the mesh.
And lastly, you fail to provide enough information, and the bit you do is lacking clarity. You never state which textures/maps you're using, how many of each, the resolution of each, and you state "polys." Polys, or polygons, is usually understood to mean tris, or triangles, unless stated otherwise. Hopefully you know that tris and polys are not the samething, and one model being quoted will usually have a lot tris than it does polys. For a companies benefit you should state everything in tris, this will show that there is no confusion in your mind between the two.

Thats about all i have for now, hope this helps.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
your-portfolio-repels-jobs

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement