Constant Error

Started by
11 comments, last by nhatkthanh 15 years, 11 months ago
Every so often I get this error, General Work fatal error LNK1201: error writing to program database 'c:\Documents and Settings\Training\My Documents\Programming\Work\General Work\Debug\General Work.pdb'; check for insufficient disk space, invalid path, or insufficient privilege If I close Visual studio and reopen it the error goes away for awhile, but eventually it comes back. Any idea on how to fix this? Matt
Advertisement
What version of Visual Studio? Please don't say VC6...

Also, have you tried just deleting that file?
Im using vc7 but I cant just delete the file, well, I could, but there would be consequences and repercussions I don't want to think of, heh.
Have you tried "Rebuild All" on this project only? Maybe only Link Only?
Do you actually have enough space on your disk? The fact that closing/reopening makes the error go away may be because visual deletes all temporary files it generated and you have more space on disk when reopening?
Quote:Original post by Code Is Your Friend
Im using vc7 but I cant just delete the file, well, I could, but there would be consequences and repercussions I don't want to think of, heh.
All files in the "Debug" and "Release" directories are temporary files. It's always safe to delete them.

I seem to remember this bug is related to intellisense in some way...
Allright, so I have sent the files in debug to the bin of recycling, I will see if the error rears its head. And I am fairly sure its not taking up the remainder of mem, I have more then enough to go around.

I just got it again so there is more to it then just deleteing the files im afraid , any other suggestions?
I've heard of this sort of thing being caused by virus scanners' real-time scanning. If you have that going, try disabling it and see if the problem goes away. If it does, you can look into configuring your scanner to skip PDB files.
This bug is present in all versions, including 2005 and 2008. For me, it seems to appear more often in 2008.

I solve it by doing clean and rebuilding everything. It happens rarely enough though, so I never bothered to look for a solution.

It's not however related to application running longer than it should or various dynamic loading issues, it's a strictly MVS problem. No background scanners or anything similar either.
I can't say I've seen this exact error, but I do occasionally have enough applications running (3-4 instances of Visual Studio + possibly Eclipse + Outlook + Firefox + Virus scanner + Firewall + source control + a ton of explorer windows, etc etc...) where I occasionally appear to run out of virtual memory. Closing any single open application seems to fix me long enough where I can restart a few "leaky" apps and things seem to be fine for a while after that. I don't know if it's related, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

You could consider submitting a bug report to Microsoft. Not that that's gotten me far in the past, but worth a shot.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement