Need some advice on Graphic Library

Started by
5 comments, last by daviangel 15 years, 10 months ago
Well, I am thinking of writing my own Graphics Library for my game, because I don't like the ones they have now days, I rather have something I have complete control over. My knowledge -2 years C++ -4 months Assembly -2 years VB6 So yah any help will be nice ~ARC inc
Advertisement

That's a bold statement and frankly I'm missing the question...

Exactly what kind of help/advice are you looking for?

Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Start with describing what you don't like about existing libraries. Include information on what they don't provide you with 'complete control' over.
People will tell you not to do this and that you will be able to create a game much faster by using an existing library and...they're right.

Now, that said, if you want to make your own graphics library because you enjoy it then go for it. I'll just say that I hope you recognize that in the end you will have spent a whole lot of time and you will be no closer to finishing a game. It all depends on what you value and enjoy.

Also, define what you mean by "graphics library", I've found people have wildly varying ideas on just what that entails.
Get a copy of this book because this is basically what the author does in it:
"Tricks of the 3D Game Programming Gurus-Advanced 3D Graphics and Rasterization"
Tricks II is about SOFTWARE algorithms and rasterization. There is NO coverage of Direct3D, OpenGL, etc. If you're interested in learning about APIs then this is the wrong place. If you're interested in learning about HOW TO DO IT from plotting a pixel to Quake II technology then this book will show the way. I can say that there is nothing like this on the market, and probably never will be. The amount of time needed to illustrate multiple 3D engines, and technologies, build the demos, and try and make it fun, and engaging is simply too time consuming.
Beware though since as the author says above "...is simply too time consuming"
So if you got time to kill this is the book to get like I said.
Oh and this is the Linux equivalent if you are more of a Linux coder for completeness
Linux 3D Graphics Programming
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Ok, basicly what I am wanting to do is

Write a Library that writes directly from hardware(what a graphics library works)

But I am not 100% sure how to do so
Quote:Original post by ARC inc
Ok, basicly what I am wanting to do is

Write a Library that writes directly from hardware(what a graphics library works)

But I am not 100% sure how to do so

Yeah you really don't know what you are asking do you?
If you want to access the hardware directly you'd have to go back to using win9x if you aren't already.
google
Hardware Level VGA and SVGA Video Programming Information Page

Oh and of course Lamothe once again has an older book that covers this also so look him up since it sounds like you'd really like his books;)

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement