Faking a shader

Started by
2 comments, last by Sneftel 15 years, 10 months ago
Here is the story: I want to play a game called Requiem: Bloodmare. That game needs a graphics card that supports Shader 2.0. I have an Intel GMA 945 GMX, which does not support shaders at all. I found a software shader named SwiftShader (download) which should work. I copied the dll's into the game directory (as instructed in the SwiftShader readme) which did nothing. Then I wanted to overwrite the real DirectX-files, but i could not find them -.- Then I downloaded the DirectX installer, which unzips itself in a temporary folder. With some problems I opened the right .cab archive in that temporary folder, replaced the d3d8 and d3d9.dll, zipped it back up in a .cab archive and let directx-setup install the manipulated files. Even after a reboot nothing had changed. The game still complains that I do not have a Shader 2.0 compatible graphics card. Now I need help to manipulate DirectX a little to offer Shader 2.0-functions. I understand Wiki that the shader only adds some realism and nicer shadows, so it should be possible to write shader functions which don't do anything, which should result in a game with bad graphics, but it should run. Any ideas, which exceed the intelligence of "Buy a new graphics card which supports Shader 2.0" is very welcome. Thnx.
Advertisement
Shaders don't necessarily just make the game look prettier. More and more applications are using them to do actual computation. Even if you manage to figure this out, I seriously doubt the game will be playable.
Quote:Original post by nwp

Even after a reboot nothing had changed. The game still complains that I do not have a Shader 2.0 compatible graphics card.

Now I need help to manipulate DirectX a little to offer Shader 2.0-functions. I understand Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_Shader) that the shader only adds some realism and nicer shadows, so it should be possible to write shader functions which don't do anything, which should result in a game with bad graphics, but it should run.

Any ideas, which exceed the intelligence of "Buy a new graphics card which supports Shader 2.0" is very welcome. Thnx.

I don't know that SwiftShader software, but the game is right to complain since you, in fact, don't have a SM2 compatible card. Vertex and pixel shaders (which are both included in the SM2 standard) are quite a bit more structural components than you surmise. They basically take care of all the rendering in modern games, so you can't just replace them with functions that do nothing.

I do know it's probably not the answer you are looking for, but getting an SM2 card really is the only sound advice. We're up to SM4 by now, so it shouldn't be to hard to find a decent SM2 card for well under $100. If, on the other hand, you think the SwiftShader product should allow you to run this game without a compatible card, I think this question should be posted on their support forums.
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Sorry, nwp, but this isn't a tech support forum. I suggest you try the SwiftShader forums.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement