Sign in to follow this  

Problem with std::map

This topic is 3486 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am using std::map to manage textures, and I have a function that returns the texture id in GLuint form, but when I try to return the texture the compiler gives me a funky error. Here is the specific function:
GLuint TextureManager::GetImage(const std::string &name) const
{
    return TextureImages[name];
}
The error is: texture.cpp:77: error: passing `const std::map<std::string, GLuint, std::less<std::string>, std::allocator<std::pair<const std::string, GLuint> > >' as `this' argument of `_Tp& std::map<_Key, _Tp, _Compare, _Alloc>::operator[](const _Key&) [with _Key = std::string, _Tp = GLuint, _Compare = std::less<std::string>, _Alloc = std::allocator<std::pair<const std::string, GLuint> >]' discards qualifiers Can someone tell me what is wrong?

TextureManager::GetImage() is a const member function, however the function operator[] is not a const member function of std::map. The reason it isn't const is because operator[] returns a reference to the element you're accessing. Additionally, what is problematic about that operator is that if an element with the specified key is not found, one is added to the map.

To fix this use member function find() on the map instead.

Okay so I have a map that is <filenames, GLuints> and I want to pass this into glGenTextures, how do I do that? There's gotta be a way like you do with std::vector right?

In otherwords I want to take the ->second of the map make it look like an array and pass it into glGenTextures.

There's no way to make it "look like" an array, because it isn't an array. Iterate through the entries in the map, passing the value of each one to glGenTextures in turn.

Quote:
Original post by Niddles
In otherwords I want to take the ->second of the map make it look like an array and pass it into glGenTextures.

You cant do this.

You can do it with vector because the internal representation of std::vector is an array. However the internal representation of std::map is a red-black tree.

[edit]

Damnit, I got ninja'd by sneftel twice.

I don't know. How many times do you plan to call it? If it's less than "a bazillion", then no, it won't be noticeably slow. Certainly it takes much less time to generate the texture name than it will to load the texture data in.

Quote:
Original post by Niddles
The error is:
texture.cpp:77: error: passing `const std::map<std::string, GLuint, std::less<std::string>, std::allocator<std::pair<const std::string, GLuint> > >' as `this' argument of `_Tp& std::map<_Key, _Tp, _Compare, _Alloc>::operator[](const _Key&) [with _Key = std::string, _Tp = GLuint, _Compare = std::less<std::string>, _Alloc = std::allocator<std::pair<const std::string, GLuint> >]' discards qualifiers

What an incredibly impenetrable error message. Which compiler gave you that?

Quote:
Original post by Cantos
Quote:
Original post by Niddles
The error is:
texture.cpp:77: error: passing `const std::map<std::string, GLuint, std::less<std::string>, std::allocator<std::pair<const std::string, GLuint> > >' as `this' argument of `_Tp& std::map<_Key, _Tp, _Compare, _Alloc>::operator[](const _Key&) [with _Key = std::string, _Tp = GLuint, _Compare = std::less<std::string>, _Alloc = std::allocator<std::pair<const std::string, GLuint> >]' discards qualifiers

What an incredibly impenetrable error message. Which compiler gave you that?

The error message isn't really that impenetrable. The error actually boils down to:

'x' as `this' argument of operator[] discards qualifiers.

'x' is simply an expansion of the template class's type, which happens to consist of several nested template expressions. You don't have to decode every bit of 'x', you just need to be able to pick out that 'x' is of type std::map.

Just about any compiler would have produced similar output. Being able to descipher the error just takes some practice, or you can use a tool to help descipher template error messages ... if you're a pussy :P

[Edited by - fpsgamer on May 28, 2008 9:05:41 PM]

I don't know about that ...

VC++ 2005 EE is more concise.
#include <map>

class Broken
{
int get () const
{
return contains[0];
}
std::map<int,int> contains;
};

int main ()
{
}

error C2678: binary '[' : no operator found which takes a left-hand operand of type 'const std::map<_Kty,_Ty>' (or there is no acceptable conversion)

Quote:
Original post by Cantos
I don't know about that ...

VC++ 2005 EE is more concise.
*** Source Snippet Removed ***
error C2678: binary '[' : no operator found which takes a left-hand operand of type 'const std::map<_Kty,_Ty>' (or there is no acceptable conversion)

I didn't say the error message couldn't be simplified. I conceded that point by giving a link to a tool that can simplify template errors if your compiler doesn't are already.

But it isn't impenetrable as long as you have a slight understanding of template expansion.

Also, I should add "... discards qualifiers" isn't exactly a mysterious error, as it indicates the error has to do with "cv-qualifiers", which it does.

This topic is 3486 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.