Sign in to follow this  

[web] Flash and IE [solved (again lol)]

This topic is 3488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I'm usually over in the maths/physics/openGL forums, but today I have to visit the webdev section with a request for advice please... I recently coded a site for a friend in Flash / ActionScript 2. All is fine with default settings in Mozilla Firefox, but Internet Explorer requires activeX settings to be changed (at least on the site-owner's pc)...but he is complaining that this is unacceptable! At this time, the only solutions I can provide are: 1) put a notice on the site's html section on what to do if IE is failing. 2) re-write the site in html (I don't fancy this as busy with C++) 3) refund the small fee that I charged Can anyone advice me on the best approach! One of the above, or perhaps something I've overlooked? Thanks... p.s. seems all flash sites are the same, but here's a link just in case it helps find a solution: http://www.foweyseafarms.co.uk [Edited by - jezham on May 30, 2008 5:33:23 PM]

I don't know much about Flash et. al, but can't you change the Flash in such a way that the change in ActiveX settings isn't required? What does the Flash do and what ActiveX setting needs changing?

Provide us with more details and we can give you more help. I've written a few things in Flash and never had that happen to me in IE. The more details the better, if the site is live somewhere and we can visit it that would be best.

Thanks for the replies.

The required ActiveX setting (via WinXP Control Panel / Internet Options) is in the Security tab, Internet / Custom Level, "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins"...it is set to Disable on my system.

I forget if "Disabled" is the default setting, as mine could have been disabled by for example XP-antispy. But the client doesn't seem to have any knowledge of ActiveX, so I'm presuming he (and his friends) haven't disabled it, therefore they expect the site to run out-of-the-box.

Apparently (via a quick browse around), all Flash sites need ActiveX...which makes sense. But that's only confirmed on my system!

I did link the site above, I'll edit in a href, sorry.

a) That's what I figured, thanks Oluseyi.
I'll be sure to inform the client of this fact (I know the messenger is reading!) before deciding the site's future.

b) Thanks again, I was always interested in alternative markup than default.

Another idea I've had, which was going to be a background "Loading" image, is to display a link behind the object...informing what to do if the activeX warning has appeared. Problem is, I can't seem to talk Dreamweaver in to overlapping a link and a flash object.

Perhaps even detect the disabled ActiveX and (auto) redirect to an enable-tutorial. How can I test if enabled in IE? (Firefox defaults enabled so no prob there)...and what about other o/s?!

Can anyone link me to a site which puts the last idea in to practice (via auto-detecting html)? :)

Quote:
Original post by jezham
How can I test if enabled in IE?

Try to call an ActiveX function and catch an exception if there is one (JavaScript):
if(window.ActiveXObject) {
try {
var testObj = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")
// if ActiveX is enabled, code following this comment can execute
}
catch(e) {
// ActiveX is disabled; render alternative here
}
}

Quote:
(Firefox defaults enabled so no prob there)...and what about other o/s?!

ActiveX is a Microsoft-only technology. I mean, Mozilla-based browsers have an extension to "enable" it, but it's not a core part of their architecture. That's why Firefox appears enabled by default; it doesn't use ActiveX.

Ok that worked, but I still have a problem with it.

If Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins is enabled, then IE displays the object.
However, if Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe is disabled, then the object is still displayed...BUT the code catches this other error.

I've searched around for how I might mark the code as "safe", but not really getting far. I think it would be better to just test for the interested setting if possible?

I've discovered a 100% compatible solution!

Using a 2 or 3 second delayed *html* re-direct to a fail-page...
Attempt to load a (very small) *Flash* redirect to the final Flash page...
If the final page worked, then the html re-direct never happens!

Potential problems:
A very slow connection might kick in the html-redirect before the Flash-redirect can do it's thing (so call it 3 second delay min?).
Users might not wait for 3 seconds...solution might be an animated .gif suggesting something is happening.

Think I'll go with this solution if I can't find a more pure method. But before I go, just wanted to say; Microsoft are greedy selfish pigs incorrect.

Somewhat rediculously:
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="3;url=fail.html" />
is also blocked!

Well, I'm done with non-ActiveX! And now putting a link to the fail page! Perhaps M$ will allow a manual visit?
It's not even noticed when things work, so that will have to do...for the IE users.

Thanks for all the posts :)

*EDIT* ok this is getting really silly? wtf are links blocked?!?!?!?!?!?!

*EDIT 2* finally! And I only found by accident (linking to tester) that the links only disable when testing locally (from hard drive)!

Sorry for the diary, but I hope it helps some one out there.

[Edited by - jezham on May 30, 2008 5:56:08 PM]

This topic is 3488 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.