Sign in to follow this  

Signal and audio processing

This topic is 3490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys. I recently involve in a project about Audio Recognition. I am completely kind of newbie in this area. Here is my idea about it: Problem: Say I have a very big audio database (DB), in which it has millions of audio samples, songs or musics. I get many audios signals (music or tv programs' background music) from a source (SOURCE). Goals: How do I get the relative or similar (same category or kind) for the 'source' from the 'database'? My solution: When I get a music from the SOURCE, 1st I need to somehow abstract it. 2nd Using distribute database systems as my (DB). This is because the DB is very big, by using distribute db, I could fast locate my data. Difficulties: The thing is how would I abstract the music from the source (use signal processing and pattern recognition?) I just can't think how would I begin to do this? Any suggestions? What materials do you think I need to read? Thanks in advance

There are a variety of ways to classify audio signals and most of the popular ones involve a transform of the time-based signal into a freqency or time-frequency space. You should look into the cepstrum and complex cepstrum methods as a starting point for analysis. These are quite useful for speech and music analysis.

Given your transformed signal you then need to find a way to classify any given sample in terms of its features. This will make it easier to store and retreive efficiently and make comparison far more efficient. Of course, this opens up the question as to what are the features of a given cepstrum. ;)

Cheers,

Timkin

Quote:
Original post by daviddiligent
Hey guys. I recently involve in a project about Audio Recognition. I am completely kind of newbie in this area. Here is my idea about it:

Problem:
Say I have a very big audio database (DB), in which it has millions of audio samples, songs or musics. I get many audios signals (music or tv programs' background music) from a source (SOURCE).

Goals:
How do I get the relative or similar (same category or kind) for the 'source' from the 'database'?

My solution:
When I get a music from the SOURCE, 1st I need to somehow abstract it. 2nd Using distribute database systems as my (DB). This is because the DB is very big, by using distribute db, I could fast locate my data.

Difficulties:
The thing is how would I abstract the music from the source (use signal processing and pattern recognition?)

I just can't think how would I begin to do this? Any suggestions? What materials do you think I need to read? Thanks in advance

I'm not sure what you are exactly asking. Do you want to know how to do audio classification? If so, this might be usefull to start with (look at the references). Basically you extract features from audio. The way in which the features are extracted is the hard part (the audio processing). There are plenty of ways, the easiest of which is measuring the energy in different frequency bands.
Cross referencing the features you extracted from the audio with your database is another interesting technical challenge.

I can tell you that the idea in the paper I linked to works (we have first hand experience with it). You may want to search more for papers of Martin McKinney, or look for audio classification or audio feature extraction.

This topic is 3490 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.