should I "upgrade" to microsoft vs 08?

Started by
39 comments, last by Scionwest 15 years, 10 months ago
I've been using mvs 05 for a while now, and it is what I'm using for my current project. It took me quite a while to adjust coming from vs 6, but I think it was for the better. My question is, should I get the new 08 version? Are the major changes? (Please excuse my laziness, I figured some of you have already experienced this, so I should just ask) Thanks for any comments and help in advance 2d
Advertisement
While there are plenty of improvements you'll find that the change from 05 to 08 isn't as great as from VS6, as the interface is largely unchanged.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I'd say that it's not worth it unless there's a specific feature that you want to use, and clearly there isn't. Starting your next project with it wouldn't be a bad idea though.
.NET 3.5 and C# v3, the ability to choose your .NET target platform, LINQ, C++ improvements and additions, new MFC features with the VS2008 features pack... It's worth upgrading, and it won't be a pain because the IDE itself has hardly changed at all. For example, you can easily import VS2005 settings and solutions in VS2008 without any trouble.
English is not my native language.Sam.
Quote:C++ improvements and additions

hehe, I am very curious as to what "C++ improvements" you have encountered in VC2008.
E8 17 00 42 CE DC D2 DC E4 EA C4 40 CA DA C2 D8 CC 40 CA D0 E8 40E0 CA CA 96 5B B0 16 50 D7 D4 02 B2 02 86 E2 CD 21 58 48 79 F2 C3
Quote:Original post by Jan Wassenberg

hehe, I am very curious as to what "C++ improvements" you have encountered in VC2008.

The optional library pack which includes tr1 is only available for VS2008.
Quote:Original post by Jan Wassenberg

Multicore compiles are a godsend for largish codebases that aren't split into very many project files. Other than that, VS 08 seems pretty much the same for C++ work.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Well as others have already stated the changes from 2005 to 2008 are subtle compared to going from VC6 to 2005/2008.
Having used VS2005 and 2008 mainly for C++ I can't really find any compelling reasons other than TR1 support to upgrade.
There's also supposed to be performance improvements and bug fixes with C++ but I couldn't tell and if anything I'm mad that they got rid of code snippets for C++.
If you are a C# programmer there really are pretty good reasons to upgrade like language enhancements (C#3 & VB9 compilers) and LINQ.
Plus you can now download and browse the source code of the .NET Framework libraries, in 2008.
Anyways here's Microsoft's reasons to try to get you to upgrade:
Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition: Top Reasons to Upgrade
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:Original post by jbadams
While there are plenty of improvements you'll find that the change from 05 to 08 isn't as great as from VS6, as the interface is largely unchanged.

I wonder, at a point in the (near) future, if the DirectX SDK will no longer support VS 2005?

Check out Super Play, the SNES inspired Game Engine: http://www.superplay.info

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm a C++ programmer. Yeah I read elsewhere that Microsoft has continued it's trend of not supporting C++ very much. There subtle way of getting us to use C#.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get 08 though. Upgrade isn't that much comparatively, and some of the additions for C++ sound useful.

Thanks again.

2d

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement