Sign in to follow this  

Architecture: Level design

This topic is 3484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Level design is what I enjoy doing. But recently I’ve taken a more serious approach to this topic. I bought Architecture: form, space and order and it was a good introduction to architecture although I was looking for something that showed me more along the lines of specific features of buildings, scale and variations of these features I think it's a little hard to say. I was wondering if there are any level designers out there that have bought any books on architecture or if they haven’t how come? Thanks for any feedback in advance. (I hope this is the correct place to bring up this topic, sorry If it's it not)

I think in my view is following Architecture and subjects such on the same line are very technical. I myself when designing levels (mostly rally tracks) like to think that the environment design is very organic, instead of using technical drawings just use a base scale and let your imagination run wild.

Thats my view though.

In my 8 years of spare-time level-design, I bought only one architecture book. Nothing technical, just a book showing different styles and cultures. Besides the immersion factor, architectural correctness doesn't play too much of a role in most games, I think. I'm not saying you should just do something, some common sense applied surely is important, I'm just saying that a few missing pillars here and there probably won't affect the overall experience. Unless your audience is a class of architecture students... ;)

I do think it's a good idea to buy books on those subjects though. It gives you a better understanding, which can help you build more believable levels.

However, I also think it's a good thing to read up on game-design, layouts, lighting, composition, player psychology, and so on. Those are the things I've been reading up on most. Looking at cool concept art can help, too. :)

Of course, all of this depends a lot on the game you're creating levels for.

I know that a number of level designers do use architectural books for the following purposes:

1. Design Reference
Architectural books can give good reference for all elements of the visual appearance of structures from a variety of cultures.

2. Materials
Architectural books are also good references for materials used in construction.

3. Physical Constrains and Construction
This doesn't always apply, but some level designers have an objective of creating a realistic structure. In this case a good knowledge of architecture is a must. In addition, even unrealistic structures can benefit from this knowledge. I once read some comments from a professional level designer saying that his knowledge of architecture and industrial design allowed him to more accurately determine how structures would be constructed if they were, indeed, real. This was in a sci-fi setting.

The Game Design course at Queensland University of Technology offers minors in subjects such as architecture, interior design and industrial design.

This topic is 3484 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.