Sign in to follow this  

Back Buffer Implementation

This topic is 3485 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have the following doubts when i continue my studies with new topic Direct X. Can some one help me to solve the doubts Is back buffer implement with Surface only or It can Implement only with Texture . Is there any difference b/w Surface and Texture. Is a video card necessary for Back Buffer implementation.If it necessary which is more suitable.... How many buffers needs for getting a smooth rendering .

A backbuffer (in D3D9) is implemented as a surface.
But you can implement it as a texture, becouse the interface IDirect3DTexture9 has a getsurface method.

A texture is made of multiple surfaces (one for each mipmap). Textures hold surfaces that holds the actual data. You can only render into a surface, not a texture.

It should make sense that your backbuffer can only be surfaces (though you can create a texture and render into its individual mipmaps in separate passes).

Usually double buffering your presentation buffer is enough to avoid tearing (if you're synched to vblank).

How can i create a video window(frame show area) . Can i get required result if the picture control or Animation control from tools list of VS 2005 will use.Or explicitly write the pgms to set the view port.

This topic is 3485 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.