• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
BJRowlett

Finding Icosahedron Vertices

This topic is 3772 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What Im trying to figure out, is how to get the coordinates (X, Y, Z) of an Icosahedron (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icosahedron), without having to manually enter all the data. This wouldnt be as hard, but the data structure for the information is as follows: GeodesicSphere::Faces::Vertex::Coordinates An example of this is: (GeoSphere.FaceIndex[0].A.X, GeoSphere.FaceIndex[0].A.Y, GeoSphere.FaceIndex[0].A.Z) (GeoSphere.FaceIndex[0].B.X, GeoSphere.FaceIndex[0].B.Y, GeoSphere.FaceIndex[0].B.Z) (GeoSphere.FaceIndex[0].C.X, GeoSphere.FaceIndex[0].C.Y, GeoSphere.FaceIndex[0].C.Z) Which holds the X,Y,Z values of the all the vertices on the first Face. With this, I will have to assign the values to multiple indices coordinates, because adjacent faces share vertices. And I havent found an easy way to do so. Your help is greatly appreciated. ~BJRowlett

Advertisement
You can store the vectors that represent the direction from the center to each vertex of a unit icosahedron, oriented in a particular way; then store any given icosahedron as a center position, vector to the top (which thereby encodes yaw, pitch and size) and an angle (which encodes roll) and do the appropriate math to figure out where the other vertices are.

Try the Math&Physics forum for more help.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!