Book Recommendations

Started by
4 comments, last by Firecore 15 years, 11 months ago
Im looking for some good directx reference guide / teaching books I would like to have some good reading material for helping me out thanks
Advertisement
well, you have to provide more information... so that we can help your more on what you want...

DX9? DX10?

Beginner? Advanced?

cheers :)
any version will do, and I would like to touch beginner at least a little , just as a reference, not an entire book dedicated to beginners

some sort of directx bible , like a complete reference for programmers in general

For DirectX 9 I highly recomend Frand D. Luna's "Introduction to 3D gaming with DirectX 9c a shader approach"

It is through and covers most if not all the essentials. Also has some good 3D math background if you haven't done it before. Make sure you get the "...a shader approach" one though, as there is another book by Luna with almost the same name and it is no where near as helpful.
..and don't worry about the "Introduction" part there is plenty to work through.
-good luck
ok thanks Ill get that one then
a shader approach is definately a good book and is as close as a directx bible as u can get as all the other D3D books on the market are shite.
i would also get "Real-Time Rendering" by Tomas Akenine-Möller and Eric Haines. It is not specific to DX, but is quite useful.
Here is the site for more info :
http://www.realtimerendering.com/

And if u do quickly finish a shader approach and u wanna learn D3D10, i would not bother with any of the books on the market atm. The source examples in the sdk are probably the best examples for D3D10.
Although it has a nice maths primer in a shader approach, i would also learn some linear algebra as it would greatly help.

You would also find reading up on some Win32 window creation and message loop tutorials useful. In the source in the book, u do not have to dirty your hands with Win32 as a nice class is provided to manage the windows and D3D creation/destruction.

As a final note in my ramblings, i would also recommend you ignore the DirectInput section in the book and learn to use windows messages. Evil Steve will be able to send u a link to his journal about that.

All in all a shader approach is a good book.
Have fun reading :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement