• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
rsyerigan

C++ First language?

This topic is 3733 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
The general consensus on this forum is: C++ is not a good language for beginners. You should consider C# or Python.

Quote:
Original post by fpsgamer
Quote:
Original post by Ra
See Picking a Language at GDWiki.

I only recently realized we had a wiki, can we get a link to that placed more prominently on the site?

It's at the top of every forum page. I'm not sure you can get much more prominent unless you want it in big flashing red letters :).

Quote:
Original post by Cromulent
It's at the top of every forum page. I'm not sure you can get much more prominent unless you want it in big flashing red letters :).

Many people (like myself) browse only the active topics, where no such link is displayed.

Quote:
Original post by Driv3MeFar
Quote:

Many people (like myself) browse only the active topics, where no such link is displayed.

Yeah I'm not seeing the link either but it's cool that there is a wiki about it now!

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by fpsgamer
Quote:
Original post by Ra
See Picking a Language at GDWiki.

I only recently realized we had a wiki, can we get a link to that placed more prominently on the site?

I was thinking something more along the lines of the sites main navigation menu. Perhaps under "community".

I learned C++ as my first language years ago and it was challenging to start with. When i got into university, I had to take 2 courses just in the C language, then Java then many advanced topics. Learning Java/C# is a good way to become familiar with object oriented principles without using a low-level language like C/C++. Once you get a grasp on OO principles I'd go into C++ since the power and flexibility is far beyond Java/C#.

Also if you use linux, python is a really nice language to learn. The things you can do are amazing

Quote:
Also if you use linux, python is a really nice language to learn. The things you can do are amazing

Python works fine on Windows, too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!