How big are you?

Started by
99 comments, last by capn_midnight 15 years, 10 months ago
I'm 6'2", and 80kg/176lbs.

Quote:Original post by boolean
Quote:Original post by bschneid
I get stronger but never bigger.

Me too!

When I started going the gym, I was a shocking 55kg(121 lbs), 25 years old too, but after hitting the gym for a while my body has settled around 65-70kg, which moves me out of 'so thin I look sick' territory and into just 'thin' [smile]

But yes, I found the same thing as you that, once I hit about 65kg-70kg (143 lbs-154 lbs), even though I was increasing the weights I was lifting every two weeks or so, my body just refused to put on any weight, which makes no sense at all to me. I'd eat more, eat better, lift heavier weights each time, but dang it I could never get past that 70kg(154 lbs) barrier, despite lifting much more weight I was lifting 2 months ago

Bizzare.

Aye, chalk another one up here. I hover at 80kg, and I've been going to the gym for 9 months now. I can run faster for longer and lift much more than I used to be able to, and I'm more toned, but I don't seem to put on that much muscle mass. I've started eating a lot more protein now though, hopefully all the chicken and that will help :)
My opinion is a recombination and regurgitation of the opinions of those around me. I bring nothing new to the table, and as such, can be safely ignored.[ Useful things - Firefox | GLee | Boost | DevIL ]
Advertisement
5'11", about 160lb. I could stand to convert 10lbs into muscle. Started swimming laps again this week (used to swim competitively).
I'm 5'11" and around 205 lbs. I have quite a big body build and am somewhat muscular. However, i am definitely overweight, usually i'm around 188-190 pounds in the summer when i have more time to workout.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Ok, so I've got nothing on Rocco, but I've got about...

Wait.. wrong forum!
Quote:Original post by Ilici
Ok, so I've got nothing on Rocco, but I've got about...

Wait.. wrong forum!

6' 2", 130 pounds(perhaps 140 now). Skinny, but not as skinny as I used to be. Not much muscles to speak of, but on the plus side, I don't need chairs to change lightbulbs.(seriously)

I used to have hair that went all the way down my back as well. Not sure why, I just didn't like getting my hair cut. [grin]
5'11 170 lbs.
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club
Quote:Original post by Salsa

5'11, 190 pounds... muscle :]

Darn 20 pounds more muscle then me! What did you do to get that big? Seems like no matter how hard I try I could never get that big. =(
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight club
Quote:Original post by tstrimp
This isn't necessarily true. Bulk comes not just from strength gain, but the way you exercise. Someone with a bigger bicep isn't necessarily stronger then a guy with a smaller bicep.

You are definitely right, using your example, comparing one person's bicep size to another's is not an accurate measure of strength at all. However, if you compare your hypothetical bicep size from a couple of months ago to your bicep size now when you are now able to curl 30 pounds more, your bicep will have grown in size.

Quote:Original post by polymorphed
Quote:Original post by Squirell
If you are truly getting stronger you have to also be getting bigger. More strength gives you more muscle which makes you bigger. There just isn't any way around that.

Actually, when it comes to strength the nervous system plays a big role.
That's why you can get stronger without actually gaining much, if any, new muscle. One example of the adaptation of the nervous system is that it learns to synchronize the firing of the motor neurons in a particular muscle, causing them to contract in powerful synchronized "bursts" instead of unsynchronized "noise".

Obviously, there's a certain point where adaptation of the nervous system is "maxed" out, and the only way a muscle can keep lifting more weight is by increasing its size. But the equation is a lot more complex than more muscle = more strength, though. [smile]

"The increase in fiber recruitment and neural coordination leads to strength gains, without the muscles actually getting bigger (hypertrophy). Even advanced weightlifters have been shown to increase their strength and power, without increasing muscle size, when they change their exercise programs. This phenomenon can only be the result of neural adaptations and increased recruitment."

That's an interesting article. I certainly agree with the part where it talks about strength gains when you first start lifting coming primarily from your nervous system, but I'm surprised at the advanced lifters part. Everything I've every read always states that you need to achieve hypertrophy to get stronger (after the initial period). I'd argue that the advanced lifters mentioned showed an increase in strength by working a little used muscle group in the new exercise or improving their balance so they can lift more.

I feel like that article doesn't reflect the complete truth because it is aimed more at beginners. I would be very surprised if advanced lifters made significant gains solely from their nervous system, but it is hard to argue without knowing the source that article used.
Quote:Original post by Ainokea
5'6, 145 lbs. Not terribly muscular except I have a huge neck because I am a wrestler. Hard to find clothes because my body isn't that big but my neck is so my shirts are really baggy and hang down my body funny.

I'd recommend button-up shirts, or polos with a few buttons for the neck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement