• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Eralp

Skinned mesh or just bones?

This topic is 3842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am trying to create my first 3d Game that has animations in it.The animation is now very vague for me, I never imagined it that hard! : ) . I am here to ask the question if I should do vertex blending* in a 3d rts game.I think it is better for fps games, that require better graphics.But in a rts game should I do vertex blending, or should I just stick with the basic bones and meshes attached to it.How much will this vertex blending overload the pc's ? I am not an artist, but is there a difference between the creation of these meshes (for normal bones and skinned mesh) *: I meant the system in which vertexes are "stretched" according more than 1 bone.This is what vertex blending, or skinned mesh called right?

Advertisement
Everything really depends on what you want and what the particular game is like. Unless the player can zoom in really close or units have a lot of animations, skeletal animation is probably entirely unnecessary.

If you want highly detailed, first person game style models, you could go the "vertex blending" route and assign (multiple) weights to vertexes (a process that can be very difficult) and sacrifice some performance.

If you want the units to be medium detailed and very easy to add or modify animations for, then breaking the model into "pieces" at each joint and simply attaching entire pieces to individual bones would be the easiest. If done well this method is almost as fast as the last method:

Probably the best way* to animation RTS meshes is with simple vertex animation. this method is the fastest, which makes the manipulation of large numbers of meshes- as are typical to strategy games -easier to cope with. It's also relatively simple to create animations in and doesn't have "seams" like method #2.

These are just some thoughts though, the rest is up to you and what your game is like. [smile]

* if you have a good 3D editor that supports it

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!