Browser games

Started by
4 comments, last by diablo_tk 15 years, 10 months ago
Hello again everyone I finally got my membership to this site, glad to support a great place like this :D I was wondering, I know that with my extremely limited programming skills and so on, there is no point in me starting to worry about making browser games at the moment. But I can't help myself still hacing great interest. Are there anyone inhere, who has experience in making browser-games like hattrick.org, howrse.com or those on bigpoint.com? Or anyone who might know what it would take/need to make a browser game, besides the idea for the game :) Thanks in advance!
____________________Mikkel LarsenStudent @ Aalborg University, Denmarkwww.mslarsen.dk
Advertisement
Something I said in your other thread:

There are different ways of making browser based games, all rely on server side scripting which can be done in numerous ways. The most common are ASP.NET (Microsoft .NET framework using languages like VB or C#) and PHP (similar to C# in many ways). You can also do it practically via any other language (Java and even python) as pre-compiled executables - CGI.

Also keep in mind that you will also, probably, need a database, so you'll need to learn SQL (or its derivate, such as MySQL) and some theory on that.

Everything else is generic programming not specific to browser games.
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Hello again Koobazaur

Ahh ok, that makes sence I though there would be somewhat of a destinct difference and certain procedures. But your explanation makes good sence. Sorry for making you repeat yourself because I donøt get the point the first time around hehe :) But thank you for pointing it out again ;)
____________________Mikkel LarsenStudent @ Aalborg University, Denmarkwww.mslarsen.dk
The way I understood it - website programs are nothing more than regular programs that take POST/GET data as parameters and output HTML code displayed to the user.
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Yeah, I guess you are right about that. I just did'nt see the logic it seemed to simple somehow. But it seems correct though so I'll stick with that untill someone tells me otherwise :)
This also applies to most scripting...

Make sure, if you're going server side, that you are constantly thinking about how users could exploit your code. Never trust any string input because people may use html/mysql injections at anytime. I would suggest making any database queries centralised in your code i.e. build functions to add, select and use them instead of strait mysql queries.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement